Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather on a block of wood - suitable strop?

Question Leather on a block of wood - suitable strop?

Hi all

To some (a lot?) this might seem like a stupid question, but being classed as stupid has never been a concern for me (I know my place).

I get a fairly nice (polished) bevel on my Mora with a Ceramic stone, but it's not shaving sharp. So I'm considering gluing a piece of leather onto a block of wood and stropping the knife on it.

What advice can you give me with respect to
    (a) what glue to use to glue the leather onto the wood, and
    (b) which way around to glue the leather (I presume "rough" side up), and
    (c) if I need to add anything like a metal polishing compound to the leather.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hi Bernie, any contact adhesive will be fine; Evostick is the classic contact adhesive. Stick it smooth side up and then apply a stropping compound to it. There are several Youtube videos of how to stop a knife and how to prime the strop with the compound.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi Bernie,Leather on wood is all I use on my blades to sharpon and to polish.Did'ant you get hold of some leather a week or two back? when I do a strop,I do Rough one side smooth the other on the same peace of wood(about 2-21/2in wide enny good cutting compound will do eveon T cut or sovow auto sove(cant spell)As Martin says any good contack glue will stick it on the wood.Atb.........TONY

Maybe you can make something like this:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...99&cat=1,43072

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Maybe you can make something like this:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...99&cat=1,43072
    That looks great - much nicer than the simple "brick" block I had in mind. I'll make one today and post photos of my effort and results later. Thanks for the link.

Trapper
    I've just watched some of the carter cutlery stuff from the shaving sharp thread and he demonstrates stropping a machete with some newspaper on a wooden block claiming it's the equivalent to using a 20-30,000 grit-stone. He then uses the machete to shave someone's head. He says that the small ceramic particles in the recycled paper not only make the paper white but act as a fine grit. Being a born skeptic I just put the free weekly paper on a work top and srtopped my Enzo Trapper on it for about a minute each side just to prove it's a load of rubbish. I then stroked the edge over the back of my hand and the hairs have literally popped off. Looks like there's something in it after all. I get 2 free strops in the post every week so I won't be buying one any time soon. Going to actually try an shave myself with it and as long as I don't turn my self Kosher I'll let you know how it goes. Next time I'm at a barbecue I'll amaze my host by turning his blunt chef's knife into a razor with a newspaper. Finally a use for the Daily Mail has been discovered!

NOW you tell me Dan! I've only gone and made one this morning. Going to upload photos and do a mini-blog of it.

My small selection of leather that I picked up at a car boot sale ages back and has been hanging about in the wardrobe because SWIMBO won't let me keep it next to the bed. Also, she complained about the axe next to the bed and forced me to keep it in the garage. She said I was strange. At least I'm still allowed to keep my Cherry canoe paddle in the corner of the room next to my bed.

I looked about in the garage (aka workshop, aka junk yard) and found some wood I'd been given by a friend from another forum.

Perfect size, but at least twice as thick as I need it to be. So... time to halve it on the bandsaw.

It's still rough and messy, but I'm sure there's nice wood under that rough skin.

One side done and now to the other. I should have used the ticknesser to get an even thickness really, but couldn't be bothered to drag it out and set it up.

Here you see the bandsaw marks being planned away.

Three passes, each removing about half a millimetre brought it up nice and clean.

Having chosen a suitable piece of the leather bits I had, I start sizing up the block and the leather.

Oh, reminds me, here's something I found from the previous weekend. This happened when I was chopping a dead stump in the garden. Any guesses as to what it is? You might say a broken axe handle and you'd be almost there. It's actually (now) FIRE WOOD! The handle had obviously been allowed to get too wet and dry and had rotted away.

THIS is why I shouldn't buy axes 2nd hand, and why I'd like to keep my axes inside.

Back to the strop I needed a handle shape so I pulled out some old chopping boards and traced a suitable handle shape.

Here you see the outline.

Bandsaw made quick work of it, but I should have changed the blade to allow me to follow the line. Instead I made loads of relief cuts and hacked my way through it, leaving this mess.

But have no fear, 40 grit is here!

The flexible rasp (40 grit) made quick work of the handle.

Some hand sanding with 180 grit and things are looking as they should.

That'll do for a strop, no need to get "special" about it.

Time to cut the leather to shape. My Mora 840 MG did a superb job - he was eager to get in on the action to help make his new best friend.

Sized up and ready for the glue.

Glued the leather to the wood with normal wood glue and held with clamps. It's drying now as I write this. More photos will follow when I unclamp it and apply some polishing compound and get my strop on!

Trapper
    It really works. The first time I've ever shaved with a straight blade. I need a little practice but only had to tidy it up with the bic around the chin and under the nose. Not the most comfortable of shaves but the idea is proven. Mr Carter claims that when you blunt a knife you are just sharpening it in the wrong direction, he says that if you are cutting card then strop the blade on the card to bring the edge back. Makes sense I guess.

Trapper
    I like the strop. Reminds me of going to the barbers when I was in the States but the leather stops they used were flexible rather than rigid. Is there a reason?