Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: £6.50 well spent?

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Was the bag any good?
    Ditto

I will be taking the bag out this weekend to Glencoe (first chance I have had to get out for some serious stuff) and with the way the weather is up here at the moment it should be a fair trial, I will post my conclusions on here as soon as I am back.

I live about 30mins away from MilitaryMart, brilliant Aladdins cave of a shop. and I also bought one of these bivi bags. Havent used it yet, but as Adam mentioned it may need re-waterproofing (Something I also need to do to mine)...

The bag held up OK, I put an inflatable matt inside with a Lichfeild Trail 250 sleeping bag and a Poundland inflatable pillow and was comfortable enough though it was a tight fit. I am too long for it though at 6 foot 2 inch and found it a pain in the backside to get in and out of. I was at odds as what to do with the excess flap and all the ties which in the end just got pulled over my face. I bedded down at app: 11 pm and woke at 2 am in a high-ish wind and a lot of rain, alas I was still dry and still quite comfortable, though the bottom of the bag under the matt was wet. What I never foreseen though was that I had no place to put my pack which is now decidedly larger than I have ever used or needed before, it was as I thought sheltered enough to keep dry in the event of rain but when I got up to take a leak I noticed it was getting really wet, so much to my bemusement I put up a simple A frame basha with my poncho ( not an easy feat at night, thank goodness for head torches) which my pack, bivvy bag and I remained under for the duration.

My conclusion is.

I will be passing the bag on to someone of a smaller stature and plod on with my usual tarp set up.

Corvus

Good run down of events and outcomes. Have you thought about the Gelert or mountain warehouse bivi bags? They are £22-£24 but are just over 7' long. Not the thickest material, but mine has stood up to some pretty heavy rain, without leaking. Might still want a small tarp to set up over the head end though. Plus could keep your pack under there too.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raven75 View Post
    The bag held up OK, I put an inflatable matt inside with a Lichfeild Trail 250 sleeping bag and a Poundland inflatable pillow and was comfortable enough though it was a tight fit. I am too long for it though at 6 foot 2 inch and found it a pain in the backside to get in and out of. I was at odds as what to do with the excess flap and all the ties which in the end just got pulled over my face. I bedded down at app: 11 pm and woke at 2 am in a high-ish wind and a lot of rain, alas I was still dry and still quite comfortable, though the bottom of the bag under the matt was wet. What I never foreseen though was that I had no place to put my pack which is now decidedly larger than I have ever used or needed before, it was as I thought sheltered enough to keep dry in the event of rain but when I got up to take a leak I noticed it was getting really wet, so much to my bemusement I put up a simple A frame basha with my poncho ( not an easy feat at night, thank goodness for head torches) which my pack, bivvy bag and I remained under for the duration.

My conclusion is.

I will be passing the bag on to someone of a smaller stature and plod on with my usual tarp set up.

Corvus
    Which is one of my biggest problems with the bivi bag. Add a tarp to your kit and your weight is approaching the weight of a decent lightweight tent.

Still to be convinced.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I'm 6 foot.. don't think biviing will be that good for me..
    if it rains it also seems a pain!

I have a sleeping bag with a cover that is rubberized on the outside bottom and sides and have a matress inside. I dont know what it is but believe its some kind of military mobilizing bags. Some say its norwegian but I have no proof. Anyway, the nice thing about this bagcover is the waterproof bottom. From my army experience the sleeping pads often get wet. My cover will give me better insulation from dampness. The top is canvas so I dont think I will have a problem with moisture building up from within. I havent tried it yet, but the only downside I see is that it maybe will be sliding bcs of the waterproof layer. I dont know what it is , but probably some PVC stuff. I will allways use this with a tarp overhead.