Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dartmoor Trip 24th & 25th September

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Is parking available at Fox Tor or do alternative arrangements need to be made?
    No, we can park at Fox Tor Café. Just need to be considerate and park at the top of the car park.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

And at the bunkhouse there's an oven. I think i'll have a roast dinner for brekkie.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Ok first question, what sort of weight will everyone be carrying on this trip? I have got my pack down to about 6kg without food or water.

Quote Originally Posted by dogrob View Post
    Ok first question, what sort of weight will everyone be carrying on this trip? I have got my pack down to about 6kg without food or water.
    Well, there is a Ten Tors Challenge kit list that you will need to satisfy which may increase your pack weight a bit http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors/forms/FTT7-2011.htm. The main thing to remember is the emergency stuff like spare clothing, first aid kit and emergency rations, all of which add to your weight. Not to mention the full waterproofs that will be required at this time of year.

I will be pleased with a packweight of around 12Kg including food and 3 litres of water.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Well, there is a Ten Tors Challenge kit list that you will need to satisfy which may increase your pack weight a bit http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors/forms/FTT7-2011.htm. The main thing to remember is the emergency stuff like spare clothing, first aid kit and emergency rations, all of which add to your weight. Not to mention the full waterproofs that will be required at this time of year.

I will be pleased with a packweight of around 12Kg including food and 3 litres of water.

Martin
    Just had a look through list and I have most of it covered in my usual kit so no probs there, I'm going to take about 2ltrs of water there's usually plenty around on the moors although some of its not something I would drink unless really desperate.

I noticed that GPS isn't allowed on that list, does that apply to this trip although unless it gets really foggy it shouldn't be needed although that is a fairly common occurrence on Dartmoor lol.

Don't think I'll be able to make it, any time soon. I've been on a few treks over the last couple months, and after 5-6 miles, my thigh keeps giving me jip, so in the interest of others actually being able to get a decent walk, without me slowing you down, or causing it to be cut short, I will be stepping out until further notice. I shall however keep walking when I can, to try and toughen up the ol' thighs.

Hope you have a great time of it fellas.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Take it easy and catch you another time.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Take it easy and catch you another time.
    Thanks Jus. Will see if I can intercept you, en-route. I'm sure there will be part of the route I can get to comfortably lol.

Really sorry to hear that Adam but at least you won't be slowing us all down again! (sorry mate, couldn't resist)

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Really sorry to hear that Adam but at least you won't be slowing us all down again! (sorry mate, couldn't resist)

Martin
    Nah, I know I didn't help you guys much, being all slow and everything, not to mention whinging constantly