Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: first project stove

Thanks mate, that would be brilliant! If only I could just email you some titanium in return!
    I'm gonna get the ol' drawing board out and tweak my original design a little.
    Again, thanks its a really nice offer

Nat
    We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

not a problem mate,

paul

That looks very much a Nimblewill Stove. Dead easy to make and considerably cheaper than a Honey Stove.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    That looks very much a Nimblewill Stove. Dead easy to make and considerably cheaper than a Honey Stove.
    Dead easy to make if you know how. Dead easy to ruin if you don't.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    Dead easy to make if you know how. Dead easy to ruin if you don't.
    Erm...not really. It's just a matter of cutting straight lines. You print out the templates, copy them to the material you're going to use and then cut them out. I'm not sure that cutting around templates is 'dead easy' to go wrong, to be honest. With all the other practical tasks a bushcrafter likes to take on I'm sure cutting some straight lines shouldn't prove that difficult. It's not as though it requires any special skills.

Here's the one I made:

And I made that with just a Dremel, and the last time I'd done any metal work was at secondary school (which was quite a few years ago now). The idea that these things are difficult to make is not true. Anyone can do it. All in it cost me about £5 (for the cutting discs - a local sheet metal fabricators gave me the stainless offcuts free!). And by making things for yourself you learn new skills, feel empowered and save money. If you're just going to shrug your shoulders and say "ur, I can't do that" then you never will. Especially when it comes to something as simple as cutting straight lines in a piece of metal!
    Last edited by Humakt; 06-09-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Erm...not really. It's just a matter of cutting straight lines. You print out the templates, copy them to the material you're going to use and then cut them out. I'm not sure that cutting around templates is 'dead easy' to go wrong, to be honest. With all the other practical tasks a bushcrafter likes to take on I'm sure cutting some straight lines shouldn't prove that difficult. It's not as though it requires any special skills.

Here's the one I made:

And I made that with just a Dremel, and the last time I'd done any metal work was at secondary school (which was quite a few years ago now). The idea that these things are difficult to make is not true. Anyone can do it. All in it cost me about £5 (for the cutting discs - a local sheet metal fabricators gave me the stainless offcuts free!). And by making things for yourself you learn new skills, feel empowered and save money. If you're just going to shrug your shoulders and say "ur, I can't do that" then you never will. Especially when it comes to something as simple as cutting straight lines in a piece of metal!
    That's a fair point - well made. I agree that most of us guys on the forum can "turn our hands" to most practical tasks (necessity is the mother of invention), and that is why we're here sharing technical info. I made the remark because I have come across a few folk over the years who couldn't even cut a sandwich straight, never mind thin metal (and some of them were male - shock horror!). A lovely collapsable stove like that needs to have slots at right angles to sit straight when assembled.

Nice work by the way - even got a proper lookin' pouch!
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.