Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Otter tracks and sign.

As per your other threads thanks for sharing this rare / hard to find knowledge.
    Otters are pretty high on the list for UK critters that I want to see/photograph, I'll probably still need huge amounts of luck and patience but at least now I have a much better idea of what to look for.

Cheers
    P

We are real lucky with Otters here .. There are 3 on a stretch of the River Don and they are wonderful to watch.
    Other great thing that I have noticed about them being there is the lack of Mink . 5 years ago the same part of the river was moving with the wee beggers!

Cheers
    AL

Hobo
    great pics mate

Quote Originally Posted by AL... View Post
    We are real lucky with Otters here .. There are 3 on a stretch of the River Don and they are wonderful to watch.
    Other great thing that I have noticed about them being there is the lack of Mink . 5 years ago the same part of the river was moving with the wee beggers!

Cheers
    AL
    The absence of mink can be attributed to the otter. They're fiercely territorial and will not tolerate them.
    We found a dead mink last year with its genital area badly mutilated - a favoured form of attack by the otter.

I dident know that Mate Thanks for the info . I did know that the Otters would seek out Mink nests and go for the kits.
    Next time I find a dead mink (and not one my terrier kills) I'll check it out

Cheers
    AL

It's also how they combat other rival otters. There have been some sent for autopsy that have had these bites.
    They could be swimming along all nicely one minute, the next they're being attacked from below water.
    Some autopsies have shown drowning from inhaling water or even bits of pond weed in the lungs which has either drowned them or caused pneumonia (should they escape).
    The first natural reaction is to 'gasp' (I would probably scream too!) if you were being bitten on the wiener and dragged under water.

LOL aye me too Thats a sneeky way to deal with an intruder for sure

Cheers
    AL
    Last edited by AL...; 02-07-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Haven't put any more different tracks and signs here for a while. So, to make the collection a little more comprehensive..........

Potential holt site and a run. The Sycamore roots provide excellent cover due to the spread out nature of them. Willow is not so good as the root system is very tightly packed. A hole can be seen in the roots and there's a run to the left.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	10550

Predation on duck egg - tooth mark can be clearly seen.

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	10551

Some very tiny fish bones covered in white anal jelly.

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	10552

Very fresh anal jelly, brown in colour this time. About 200 yards upstream I had disturbed the otter which was on a tree branch hanging over the water.
    The jelly is produced from a gland in the anus and can take on a variety of colours. The scent is unique to each individual otter

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	10553

This signal crayfish got its tail munched off.

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	10554
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 16-10-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Awesome impressions, especially the crossing. Thanks for sharing!