Thread: An ongoing list of places to camp on Dartmoor

An ongoing list of places to camp on Dartmoor

A great idea, put forward by Martin.

Over the next few months (and well beyond I expect), I'll be venturing out onto the moors as much as possible, searching for ideal locations to pitch up across Dartmoor. I'm sure Martin and others will be able to add greatly to this list. If you know of any good spots, please don't hessitate to add them to the list. All results must be complete with OS grid ref and if possible a photograph showing the basic terrain.

Kicking off with a perfect pitch, found by Martin himself.

1: Teignhead Farm (ruin) SX 635/844
    Level pitch, Water supply (Manga Brook), Trees for hanging

2:

Here are some useful links regarding Dartmoor...

Camping restrictions/permissions map

Dartmoor Firing Programme range details
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 05-07-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Please note, off topic posts have been moved here:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...rtmoor-general

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

hiya, will these pitch listing be marked as such if within the permitted camping areas? as this one is in a "camping allowed with permission" area, so i guess permission needs to be sought, if you did, will you be listing where you got such permissions too?

great idea btw, hope to be able to add to it sometime

Quote Originally Posted by jonajuna View Post
    hiya, will these pitch listing be marked as such if within the permitted camping areas? as this one is in a "camping allowed with permission" area, so i guess permission needs to be sought, if you did, will you be listing where you got such permissions too?

great idea btw, hope to be able to add to it sometime
    Shhhh, you weren't meant to notice that

Permission can normally be gained by contacting the Dartmoor National Park Committee, they will give you details of the landowner, or give you permission directly if they have control over the land.

Just came across the work of a top chap, who has compiled a list of coordinates, of all the Tors on Dartmoor. Thought it may be useful to have the link on this thread too.

Dartmoor Tor Coordinates

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    ...top chap, who has compiled a list of coordinates, of all the Tors on Dartmoor.
    That would be me! Thanks for the link, and the kind words. I registered just to say that, and I like what you are all doing with this site. The list of tors is an ongoing thing, and may well change as and when I find new ones, or find that some are non-existant. There is a small list of around 20 or so that do need to be added.
    A more usable link is: http://www.davebellamy.co.uk/indexTors.htm
    Again, thanks for the link, and I think I might stick around.
    Cheers
    Dave

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave.B View Post
    That would be me! Thanks for the link, and the kind words. I registered just to say that, and I like what you are all doing with this site. The list of tors is an ongoing thing, and may well change as and when I find new ones, or find that some are non-existant. There is a small list of around 20 or so that do need to be added.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Hey Dave, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum, which is rapidly turning into a Dartmoor Appreciation Society.

Would be great for you to join us on one of our days or nights out on the moor. Hope you stick around to share your knowledge and help to point some of us in the right direction.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Cheers
    Dave
    Thank you Dave, for making the list, and welcome to the site. As Martin says, it would be great to see you out on the moors some time.

Adam

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks Martin and Crazysaint for the welcome. Naturalbushcraft is a great website... I'm amazed I never found it before (thanks to Google Analytics for highlighting the link!). I'm not an expert on the moor by any means, but it's a beautiful place, and I'm happy to show anyone around. Fur Tor at either end of the day just can't be beaten.

Thanks Martin and Crazysaint for the welcome. Naturalbushcraft is a great website... I'm amazed I never found it before (thanks to Google Analytics for highlighting the link!). I'm not an expert on the moor by any means, but it's a beautiful place, and I'm happy to show anyone around. Fur Tor at either end of the day just can't be beaten.
    LOL, bless google. Will have to head to Fur Tor next time I'm down there. Anyway, I better get back on thread topic.

Planning a trip to Dartmoor ASAP in search of more stopping off points. Will report back when I have had chance to get down and back.