Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flip-flops or sandels

Heh...Pumpkin and Honey Bunny...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hey IBrown. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not sure that flip flops are particularly 'bushcrafty' related items of footwear. You might find you get a better response if you post your question here:

www.homemadeleathersandals.com/forum

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by IBrown View Post
    Hey Martin, Call me old fashioned but isn't Bushcraft about having a go at making things yourself and not about going to the shops and buying the most expensive item you can find and then going on a forum and bragging about it.
    Lost In Translation... (another film quote )

Yet another example of how humour can be difficult to convey in words. Deliberate attacks are never tolerated on this forum especially by the moderators, take it from me as I have been caught by the translation issue myself.

Trying (please don't let it be in vain) to get this thread back on topic; are you just looking for templates, and have you made any footwear before? How much leatherwork experience do you have? It might help to know whether people can suggest complicated designs. Also, does your missus have her own ideas about what she wants? Sometimes that's the nicest part of having something hand made - we can have all the things we like and none of the things we don't. For example, I hate sandals that go between my toes. I like my toes open and free in front, but plenty of "strapping" on the sides so I can be agile and not suddenly find my foot outside the sandal.

For example, this design is quite a simple Roman sandal: http://www.mylearning.org/learning/i...%20diagram.pdf There's a good blog about these sandals here: http://www.florentius.com/calcei-main.htm

There's also a similar thread on another website here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index...howtopic=32427

Wow, the stuff I can find on Google eh. There goes the next hour of my life...
    Last edited by Bernie; 14-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.

I have made some waraji, look it up on youtube, it shows you how to make them. Its the traditional japanese walking sandals made from sissal. Its a nice project

Quote Originally Posted by jikido View Post
    I have made some waraji, look it up on youtube, it shows you how to make them. Its the traditional japanese walking sandals made from sissal. Its a nice project
    Oddly enough, that word "waraji" reminds me of "huarache" (phonetically pronounced almost the same as waraji...) and prompted me to do a quick "make your own huarache sandals" which came up with this: How to make huaraches. They have video tutorials, and the sandals actually look pretty cool!

All the best!

Josh

Ah ha. Been to that site already. They are cool. If you make some pop a pic up.

Quote Originally Posted by jikido View Post
    Hi Jikido,
    Thanks for the site info, will show them to the misses and see if she likes the look of them and I will give them a go.
    Many Thanks
    Ian

I'm assuming that 2x bits of old thick kip mat and strategically positioned knotted cord would not suffice "for the lady".....no...what was I thinking?....women have this tendancy to insist on seeing beyond funcionality.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.