Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: traditional bacon that doesnt go off for weeks!

traditional bacon that doesnt go off for weeks!

if you go to sainsburys in the week take a look at the bacon isle,everything from basics at 99p a pound to dutchy originals dry cure bacon at over £18.00 per Lb!!!!!!!!!!! most bacon these days isnt realy bacon as we think of it,pork is injected with brine and left for 24 hours then sliced and packed,thats what the white scum is when you cook it! also the brine adds weight!so you are paying for water!!!! also mixed into the brine are artificial preservatives,the product needs this as isnt realy cured and there fore will go off when not in a vac pack! even dry cures contain preservatives in the salt rub.I for one am allergic to the preservatives and cant eat bacon bought from the shop!!! :angry4:
    A while back i worked at a farm shop cutting plant and there i was given the job of bacon curer,and it is realy easy! i cant see how the shops can get away with the price! i started to make my own bacon at home,minus the preservatives in the rub as i now make my own rub(i have previously posted the dry cure recipe)
    i usually on a weekly basis make 14lb of dry cured streaky bacon and it takes only 30 minutes! it will take 4 days to cure then i smoke it.
    below is the basics of bacon making.pork,rubs and knife

firstly the ribs need cutting off and put aside for the BBQ,your butcher will gladly do this for you.also trim the flare fat and trim any mis-shaped edges off the piece.

next turn the meat skin side up,and stab/ pierce the skin all over with a knife point,dont go too deep 1cm should do!(It helps to think of 'psyco'shower scene!)

next spinkle the rub mix libraly onto the skin side and rub in hard ,pushing the rub in with the heel of yer hand:

next turn the meat over and repeat the process,ensuring that you rub the mix into all the seams and folds.

not forgetting the sides of the meat,use plenty of rub,dont be shy!!!

and here you have the final product ! best hung in a fridge or outside in the winter,when hhanging outside i put it in a pillow case to keep the bugs off! in the summer i just pop mine in a bag and place in the bottom of the fridge for 4 days,at which time i pat it dry with a cloth and smoke it,its ready to try now and is fine if you like 'green' bacon.

and here is a very good award winning recipe for a home cure rub:

dry cure rub for bacon and gammons:

dry cure rub for bacon and gammons:

2lb salt,
    6 cloves,*
    12 bay leaves,*
    8 table spoons juniper berries,*
    8 table spoons thyme,*
    1 table spoon black pepper corns,*
    2 table spoons dark brown sugar,

* grind to a course look.

then mix all together,this cure can benifit from leaving for a couple of days for the salt to drawout the juniper ,but i have used it streight away.this amount of rub should do up to 6 loins,or more!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Fantastic!!

Exactly what i was looking for. I love trying to butcher my own meat as much as possible - i'm still amazed at how cheap large cuts are when you break them down yourself, compared to the cost of buying all the portions ready packed. I can't wait to give this a try!

i was wondering if you know how long this would be safe out of the fridge during the summer? (well a scottish summer, so probably not that warm!)

mate if smoked i have had it hang in the kitchen (hot and humid) for 6 weeks,it is saltier than the shop stuff but its how bacon was not like todays imitation.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Nice one Fish.

I'd like to give this a try as, like you, I find shop-bought bacon to be cr*p.

A couple of supplimentaries:

1. What cut of meat do I ask for from the butcher?
    2. Can you give some details of the smoker you're using? Cold smoked I assume, for how long? Any info would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Fish, thanks for a great tutorial. Can I just check that you meant 8 tablespoons of juniper berries? That sounds an awful lot given how pungent their aroma is.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    We are still waiting for our bacon..

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hey Fish, thanks for a great tutorial. Can I just check that you meant 8 tablespoons of juniper berries? That sounds an awful lot given how pungent their aroma is.

Martin
    in 2lb of salt its not as much as you may think,but you can always use less,the juniper really does add a fine taste.

johnnyp i want one of them there piggies!

I love this post. Have made a smoker out of a colour gas bottle. It also doubles up as a pretty decent stove. Curing and Smoking is the best

Perfect.