Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yomping

Tribal Elder

Yomping

Ello chaps.

Yomping is the walking of large distances with a load. Usually used in the military for guys carrying their kit in fitness tests but could be equally applied to carrying a lot of gear over a large distance for example getting your lug into a remote forest or, in a survival situation, getting to safety but having to carry whatever you can use to aid you (such as in several episodes of survivor man when the chap carries the seats from a plane or whatever he can salvage around).

Does anyone practice this?

Anyone with experience?

I'm sure the ex-mil boys can share some advice and happy times with yomping

hah, used to practice this, lugging a rucksack of fishing tackle down 300ft of cliffs on our south coast, to do overnight conger fishing, brings back good and bad memories, the bad ones being when my mate slipped a disc and i had to carry two lots of gear up the cliff and two catches of conger eel, then do the same carrying it all back to the cars!
    felt like a survival situation at the time.

Steve

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Yeah, in the early 80's we used to lug 40lb rucksacks around over Dartmoor, Exmoor and Brecons for days on end. This was when I was in the Police Cadets and they considered that it was necessary training for being a police officer to be able to walk 25 miles a day carrying a dead weight on your back for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Many a time to many I think LOL
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Yeah, in the early 80's we used to lug 40lb rucksacks around over Dartmoor, Exmoor and Brecons for days on end. This was when I was in the Police Cadets and they considered that it was necessary training for being a police officer to be able to walk 25 miles a day carrying a dead weight on your back for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Martin
    Essential training for dumping a body on someone else's manor to avoid the paperwork. Allegedly.

Tribal Elder
    haha, paperwork would be harder these days!

Away out for a wee yomp tommorrow, training for the west highland way in august

Yomping is an Marine thing, tabbing was Army and Airborne. We in the Air Force preferred a bimble, less kit more of a country amble really.

Andy
    I totally reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYRAF View Post
    Yomping is an Marine thing, tabbing was Army and Airborne. We in the Air Force preferred a bimble, less kit more of a country amble really.

Andy
    I must have spent some time with the RAF then as I call it a bimble when I just strolling but it becomes a tab when I have full kit
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYRAF View Post

Andy

good old RAF.... we dig in and they check in
    [

AND i take what i like cos I'v got a 4x4