Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Carp Anglers on here?

Any Carp Anglers on here?

Hi there
    As well as enjoying the outdoors and bushcrafty things, I've been a keen carp angler for nigh on 34 years. I now own my own carp fishery in northern France.
    Recently after speaking with a mate and fellow carper inthe UK, I've switched the traditional bivvy/bedchair set up for a hammock and tarp. The usual gear weighs in at over 15kg for just the tent and bed.....my tarp and hammock weighs just 1.5kg!!!.
    Ok admittedly, you need trees, at least one and/or vehicle access. With one tree and my 4x4 I can hang a hammock.
    Anyone esle tried this option????
    cheers
    Gareth
    PS: Check out my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002545151533

do a fair bit of general coarse fishing with a bit of freelined crust for the carp,heres one i caught at 4:30am last monday:

as for the hammock idea i was thinking about it just the other day when i did an all nighter,it really does make sense to use one,maybe it will be the next fad in the carp world,which means there will be cheap fox beds available for me! woohoo!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Yeah, I just got fed up of lugging all the bivvy/bedchair set up around and getting a terrible night's sleep. I've not yet found a comfortable bedchair, and I've had a few makes. But hauling 15-20kg just for a bed and shelter seemed stupid... Enter Hammock/Tarp 1.5kg... all fits in my pack.
    I generally find if I can't find two trees, I just need one and a swim I can get my car to. I then just hook one end the the tree and the other to the roofrack.
    cheers
    Gareth

I saw Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cook a carp on telly, but do people generally eat them?

No we don't... carp anglers release their catches and have done since this type of angling began serioulsy in the 50's. Most of the fish are of a large size nowadays.. here in France we don't catch many under 20lb and lots upto 40 or 50lb... finally most clubs and waters have a strict no kill policy in view iof the cost of stocking with large carp.
    cheers
    Gareth

I think it's still the law in Australia that it is illegal to release a live carp if you catch it. They were introduced here to eat some sort of algae, IIRC, then started eating everything and got out of control. If that sounds silly, we have had a lot of creatures that have been introduced to deal with a problem that ended up being worse than the original problem. Going out bush about twenty or so years ago, we hunted in the morning, late afternoon and night (spotlighting) and during the day sat on the riverbank (Lachlan River) with a .22 and shot them. It was no problem to get a hundred or so in a day. I stress that this was not a sporting endeavour, it was looked on as a public service with the full blessing of the National Parks and Wildlife people.

I'm a keen all round angler,fishing for different species at different times of the year. Carp are a target at the moment.

Here's a pic of travelling "light" just to illustrate Gareth's point.

This was a two night session in an April mini heatwave. I'm using a brolly here, the bivvy is twice as heavy.

Don't laugh, but we actually use a barrow to cart our gear to the swim, if the swim is any distance from the car.

It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

Hi Bob,

I too use this set up when I can't find trees....
    cheers
    Gareth

nice pic gareth,you need a kelly kettle i recon
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

That looks like great fun, I'd love to try it.