Thread: Jeez what a storm!!!!…

Jeez what a storm!!!!…

I was happily eating my dinner after a spot of tench fishing, when the wind got up and it started spitting with rain… No worries, I just moved myself and gear under the tarp and finished my dinner. As I lay in the hammock, the wind got stronger and the rain heavier…and heavier and heavier.. It was a sheet of water and a violent swirling wind. When the paracord guy rope to my DD tarp broke off and it flapped uncontrollably in the wind I decided to knock it on the head and head for home. Myself and my gear were by now totally soaked.
    With the carabineer ridge line and tree straps I was able to take down the tarp and hammock in a couple of clicks and bundle it into the motor. I gathered my billies and stove and was off from the lake presto…lightening was dropping all around, and we are in a thick wooded valley.
    The roads on my route home were flooded and we had no electricity when I did arrive (A falling tree had taken out the power lines).
    So while I’ve been happily camping out so far all spring and summer in the DD hammock & tarp set up, it isn’t too clever in 80mph winds and monsoon rain. I heard the next day we had 80cm of water in 5 hours… After 3 months of drought.
    Cheers
    Gareth

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    80cm?? Blimey that's over two and a half feet in 5 hours!!! I assume you are ok but I guess the local flooding must be pretty extreme??

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I hope the tench didn't drown.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Hi Martyn
    I was ok, if rather wet. I got out when I realised it was not a simple thunder storm. The roads home were scary though, with cascades of water upto 30cms on in one village a crossed.As its been so dry here the run off to the rivers was fast, some areas and villages in the region did suffer severe flash flooding. By the morning it had mostly subsided, leaving only trails of mud as a clue to the violence of the night.
    My clients at the lakes were all ok, but we had no power for 24 hours. One of the guys said he sat there watching the spectacle.. that is was brilliant!!! Takes all sorts.
    Cheers
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post
    I hope the tench didn't drown.
    LOL!!! No they just got a night off, as I didn't fish!!