Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roe Deer Track and Sign.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Well I just learnt something new. I often hear this sound in the woodland around my place and I just assumed it was foxes!
    Same here. After seeing him, I checked on the net about it. Now I notice the fox distress call is higher pitched than the roe, but they are pretty similar.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

That means he/she knew you were there and was belting out a warning to the others.
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 06-07-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    That means he/she knew you were there and was belting out a warning to the others.
    I thought as much. She didn't seem overly threatened by me, as she bounced and weaved a few hundren metres out of sight, then I saw her again as I walked along the trail, where she did the same again. She was surprisingly quiet making her way through the leaf litter and over dead fall.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    I thought as much. She didn't seem overly threatened by me, as she bounced and weaved a few hundren metres out of sight, then I saw her again as I walked along the trail, where she did the same again. She was surprisingly quiet making her way through the leaf litter and over dead fall.
    When down at Dave Budds we apparently had visitors during the night. There were quite a few deer tracks, don't know which ones as my tracking is non existent, but I hadn't heard a thing. I suppose this is more necessity for them as noise attracts preditors.

How does something like that come to be Paul? Is it just part of development, waiting for the other to catch up, or has it been lost in a struggle of some kind?

Great little clip mate. It's cool the way they catch a glimmer of the IR illuminator, out of the corner of their eye, then look up to check

They shed them every year in the onset to winter and re-grow them.
    They chew on the shed antlers to gain nutrients.

Thanks buddy. I only ever knew reindeer shed their antlers, never realised roe did it too

Here's a video from last week of a Roe doe and one of last years youngsters.
    The squirrel in the background gave her a bit of a startle.

Note that tracking sign here would include browsing on the leaves and the slippage on the log.

http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=PICT0056.mp4

http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=PICT0057.mp4

Nicely captured.
    I don't know why, but I'v never seen a squirrel near deer before, only in films lol.