Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My DIY alternative to a small Kelly Kettle (a multi-fuel chimney Kettle Jug)

My DIY alternative to a small Kelly Kettle (a multi-fuel chimney Kettle Jug)

This is something I've been working on recently and it's quite effective both as a means of easily and quickly boiling water on the trail and as a small cooking stove.

This piece of DIY kit is self contained with the kettle jug and fire box clicking together as one unit for packing and with space inside the fire box and lower chimney for stowing fuel or accessories.

In can carry 0.5 litres of water in the water bottle 'kettle' so doesn't take up much more sapce in a pack that the actual water bottle would.

It cost me £1 for the aluminum bottle component and the rest of the bits were made from recycled tins and odds & sods from the shed....!

I'll be doing a part 2 video soon with an outline of how to make this setup although it's fairly self explanatory from this initial video.

Paul.

Last edited by paul standley; 24-06-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Really nice effort Paul ,you seem to think these things through very well.
    Thanks for sharing.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    that is some job, nice one

Very impressed, as always. Looks fantastic, works brilliantly, very versatile.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

very cool, compact and versatile, and above all.........cheep!! we like!

Have been away for 2 days and took the kettle jug with me and have to say that it works a treat during sustained use in the field (in meths mode with a Tatonka burner).

It boiled all of my water and cooked 3 meals and when boiling water it just gets on with it, no worrying about wind shields and the like, just light the burner, pop the kettle onto the base and it looks like nothing is happenening because there's nothing much to see from the outside but after a few mins the steam blows vertically passed the little disc cap and it's easy to see when it's ready...!

The only thing I am slightly unhappy with is the slight 'taste' of the boiled water which I assume is coming from either the aluminium drinks bottle and/or the lining that makers spray on the inside of these bottles. I may modify to use a 550 ml beer can as the 'kettle' with a plastic bottle that slips inside the beer can for carrying water so that it still retains all of it's functionality... I know from my early 'Tinny' meths stoves and beer can pots that this leaves no after-taste.

Also tried out my £7 home made hammock, first time in a hammock and that is a whole other story...!

Paul.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0460.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	1834 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0467.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	1833 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0461.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	1835 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0465.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	1832
    Last edited by paul standley; 28-06-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Thanks for the pictures Paul, except the last one as I'm starving now!!!

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Cracking job Paul, nice to know it runs in the field. Not sure about the coatings inside these bottles (I have 3 sitting on the bench for the whitebox stove clone thread). Being Ali it might be worth boiling up a water and vinegar mix on a pretty ferrocious heat to see if it takes the taint away. Chances are the coating is only a low temp laquer of some sort so the acidity of vinegar with heat applied might be all it takes to cleanse the taste issue (just a thought)
    By the way - I know I've been out for a couple of nights myself and have had a glass or three of fall down juice but every time I see the thumbnail of the food in the last picture I swear I can see a girl's face in the bacon haha.......... must be time to take my meds.
    What the hell do I know about anything I spent 25 years chucking columbiformes into aero engines

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    ... I know I've been out for a couple of nights myself and have had a glass or three of fall down juice but every time I see the thumbnail of the food in the last picture I swear I can see a girl's face in the bacon haha.......... must be time to take my meds.
    Thats not a girl I would like to bump into on a dark night

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Cracking job Paul, nice to know it runs in the field. Not sure about the coatings inside these bottles (I have 3 sitting on the bench for the whitebox stove clone thread). Being Ali it might be worth boiling up a water and vinegar mix on a pretty ferrocious heat to see if it takes the taint away.
    I'll try that, thanks Jack. I can withdraw the bottle and put on to boil on my 2.3 kw gas stove, that will either kill or cure it...