Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could you survive with basics around your house??

Could you survive with basics around your house??

Now, would you be able to survive with basic stuff around your home?
    Lets say 4 nights with just stuff in your house (nothing "survival" like) so you'd have to use something like a butcher knife instead of a Gerber Perang...
    And a tarpaulin from the shed?

Lets say a woodland in Cornwall. And you have four nights...

What would you do?

I'd take the freezer with me and a generator (maybe a frying pan). As well as a lighter, a bottle opener and plenty of newspaper. I'd have plenty of food in the freezer and a few beers too.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Warm & waterproof clothes, bin bags or plastic decorating sheeting, blankets, kitchen knife, a few tools including a saw, ball of string or garden twine, torch, candles, bog roll, water bottles, cooking pot, mug, spoon, tucker, soap and first aid. Sorted!
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Alone in the Wilderness
    Camp in a "beergarden"

Quote Originally Posted by footsore View Post
    Camp in a "beergarden"
    All you need to work out is how to get free beer, then you'd be in paradise.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Alone in the Wilderness
    No my friend, getting is the easy part, with all that free beer getting home is the real, ad- ad? venture, HiC !!

I believe I would be able to survive for a lot more than four nights, with the stuff I have in my apartment - as long as the water keeps flowing.

during the floods in Queensland, Australia there was quite a few of us in this situation. We got flooded in and could easily make do, some got flooded out. Others had to jump ship and take what they could. Bushfires and other associated acts of 'stuff you' from the earth makes this a really valid discussion. The government here, in its wisdom advocates emergency kits and has pamphlets on how to fill them and with what etc. I will dig around and see if I can turn some of them up. A great adventure is to turn off the water and electricity for the weekend and see how you go. That was a real eye opener for my wife and kids, 'home camping' can be tricky, flushing toilets and bathing especially!
    Bang on!

Alone in the Wilderness
    I absolutely agree and do forgive me for making lite of the subject, this is a very real problem for many thousands of people globaly,But i do not tend to trust so called government "Experts" Heres the scenario, you heard the alarm for a iminent nuclear attack, (HM gov advice,) remove as many doors as possible to prop against a wall,to form a shelter, stock with food, water, toiletries, first aid kit, paper and marker pens to lable the dead, then cover entire shelter in soil from the garden(2ton aprox) seal entrance and wait for the bang. There was a clue to the error in this in the title of the leaflet, "What to do if you here the FOUR MINUTE warning" Now i know most of us have a basic common sence and would make advanced provision for such minor hickups (the end of the know world) but everybodys dilemma will be diferent so please think it through rather than wait till the last minute and hope somebody is going rush in and tell you what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by feebullet View Post
    during the floods in Queensland, Australia there was quite a few of us in this situation. We got flooded in and could easily make do, some got flooded out. Others had to jump ship and take what they could. Bushfires and other associated acts of 'stuff you' from the earth makes this a really valid discussion. The government here, in its wisdom advocates emergency kits and has pamphlets on how to fill them and with what etc. I will dig around and see if I can turn some of them up. A great adventure is to turn off the water and electricity for the weekend and see how you go. That was a real eye opener for my wife and kids, 'home camping' can be tricky, flushing toilets and bathing especially!
    Interesting post mate. I'm in Sydney and during the Qld floods I asked a number of colleagues how well they would be prepared in a similar situation. The unanimous answer was "I'd be #*#@ed". The playstation generation means that the days of pretty much every house having at least some gear/experience in roughing it are long gone. EVERY person I spoke to had no first aid apart from band-aids and panadol, no means of cooking apart from the oven, micro or barbie, and no torches or candles.