Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The predicted solar flare in May 2012.

Hobo

The predicted solar flare in May 2012.

Apparently NASA have predicted a large solar flare/storm that could knock out the electricity on Earth from anywhere in the region of 4-10 years.

What do you guys think of it? Personally I think it will be great to be knocked down a few pegs and slow the world down a bit. Obviously there will be negative impacts because of it, but on a whole I think it will do us justice.

How would you prep for it? Are people starting to learn more primitive skills?

So who do you believe?

http://www.prisonplanet.com/scientis...-10-years.html - there are plenty of other eferences to this event on the www but this was the first one I found
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krill View Post
    Apparently NASA have predicted a large solar flare/storm that could knock out the electricity on Earth from anywhere in the region of 4-10 years.. What do you guys think of it?
    I'll have to add a double-layer to my tin-foil hat now!

There's an interesting article about Solar Flares here: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...rringtonflare/

Here's an excerpt:

"More than 35 years ago, I began drawing the attention of the space physics community to the 1859 flare and its impact on telecommunications," says Louis J. Lanzerotti, retired Distinguished Member of Technical Staff at Bell Laboratories and current editor of the journal Space Weather. He became aware of the effects of solar geomagnetic storms on terrestrial communications when a huge solar flare on August 4, 1972, knocked out long-distance telephone communication across Illinois. That event, in fact, caused AT&T to redesign its power system for transatlantic cables. A similar flare on March 13, 1989, provoked geomagnetic storms that disrupted electric power transmission from the Hydro Québec generating station in Canada, blacking out most of the province and plunging 6 million people into darkness for 9 hours; aurora-induced power surges even melted power transformers in New Jersey. In December 2005, X-rays from another solar storm disrupted satellite-to-ground communications and Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation signals for about 10 minutes. That may not sound like much, but as Lanzerotti noted, "I would not have wanted to be on a commercial airplane being guided in for a landing by GPS or on a ship being docked by GPS during that 10 minutes."
    I remember hearing on some Science program that a solar flare in our history took out our Telegraph system and navigation over the seas, a quick Google shows that NASA confirms this:
    An event in 1859 caused major disruptions to the US telegraph system. In 1989 a solar storm caused the power-grid in Quebec to fail.
    Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...st-writes.html
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    It's an very interesting natural phenomenon that I think has more of a chance of causing us some grief than a lot of other end of the world type scenarios.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

We're all doomed
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

I wondered why my fillings ahd fallen out
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

If it hits us that bad how are we going to cope with not being able to spend endless hours on this forum?

Better stack up on gear and supplies then....

....wait.... did that a long time ago

Imagine how many posts there would be on the 'what have you bought now' thread after that amount of time

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    If it hits us that bad how are we going to cope with not being able to spend endless hours on this forum?
    Where will I be able to start pointless threads!?!?!
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?