Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stove: Made from nothing - costs alot

By looking at the column on the left and clicking on ultralight cooking it comes up at 50 quid !!!!!! I have made several coke can stoves all a little different. One works quite well and has been used often. It sits inside a steam pudding tin which protects it and works as a wind shield. For 50 quid I would want lots more than is on offer there []

The "KEG" or Heineken 24 ounce aluminium beer can (also known as a Heiny" has Cult status amongst light-weight back packers, particularly in the USA and a whole sub-culture of cooking systems have built up around it including the light weight Caldera system where the wind shield is also the pot support. The Heiny pots are difficult to get hold of in the UK.

The Caldera wind shield and integrated pot stand combined is clever and creates an efficient tranfer of heat from the meths stove into the keg pot. I haven't built one myself yet but I plan to. There are some good you tubes on how to construct a caldera cone.

50!!!!

Holy guacamole thats mental - that said I did by the honey stove from backpacking light which at the time I thought was a bit pricey for a few sheets of metal but its one of the best things ive ever bought.

Did you get the free sweets included?
    You were born as an original. Don't die as a copy

The Caldera-F Keg system sells for $59.95 US. The -F designation refers to the use of the Foster's can as the cook pot. It is designed primarily for ultralight backpackers, who use boiling water to cook their freezer bag food. It is durable, but to a point. It needs to be used with care, but does an excellent job at what its designed to do. It will boil a half liter of water in about 4-5 minutes on about 1 oz. of meths.
    Here's a link for the stove system.
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/trail...era-keg-f.html