Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Bushcraft Show lake windermere Weekend the 3rd till the 5th of June 2011

The Bushcraft Show lake windermere Weekend the 3rd till the 5th of June 2011

Hi Guys and Girls

I went to the show at the weekend and it cost me 80 quid for the weekend so I thought I would do a right up about my time there It was an eventful weekend I have to say. On arrival at the reception I had the feeling of being herded into a spot I didn’t really want to go. When I explained to the people that I had difficulty in walking and asked if I could drop my kit of close to my spot they just sort of looked at me stupidly and as if I came from another planet

Anyway I finally just drove up close to where I was going to be and dropped my kit of and then parked my car (On the website it did state that it catered for the disabled). I setup my Tarp and Hammock and made a brew and some food. I have to admit where I was a lovely site and the views where really good but being near to a marshy bit I managed to get my arms covered in bites

Next morning I awoke to a couple of guys walking past saying I had a good setup and quite a few people stopped to take pictures and ask questions so I thought I had better get up out of that old hammock LOL Anyway I had a brew and thought I batter go have a wash and plonk the old backend on a toilet somewhere.

I bimbled of down the track and meet a guy and his son who said the toilets where just round the corner Anyway after about half a mile I had to stop as the pain in my legs was killing me the guy was great and sent his kid of to check see if the toilets where open Who promptly reported they where locked ARGHHHHHHHHHHhh

Anyway of back I bimbles and on the way I bumped in to this blond haired bird who worked there. I must point out here I love blondes well I love women full stop But not this one she bounced past me on her phone with me shouting Oi at her in the end I shouted Oi I'm looking for the toilets and she stopped looked at me and said they are locked and broken then bounced on along. I could have told her that well anyway I thought it is a good job though as meds bung me up I don’t have to go for at least three days and well I can save having a wash as I love the smell of sweet

Anyway up and on I thought I got back to my pitch and people where stopping and asking about the tarp and hammock I was dead chuffed and felt like a famous person for once. Well in the end I had to go get some water as I had ran out some one had drank it all must have been the tea fairy

To be continued
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    she stopped looked at me and said they are locked and broken
    Where there no portaloos onsite? I'll bet the toilets wern't broken, they just didn't want the public using them. This has happened to me before at different venues.

Hi there were several problems there i agree, did you come to us on the woodlife stand??
    "Tracking is the road - bushcraft is the vehicle - Nature and wildlife is the destination."
    http://www.woodlife.co.uk/woodlife-trails/

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwose View Post
    Where there no portaloos onsite? I'll bet the toilets wern't broken, they just didn't want the public using them. This has happened to me before at different venues.
    They arrived on the second day

Quote Originally Posted by J_P View Post
    Hi there were several problems there i agree, did you come to us on the woodlife stand??
    I went to all the stands I was the one with a funny stick LOL

Anyway it was a hot day and when I reached the car park to get some water I bumped into a guy controlling the traffic (his name is Mike Metcalf I think he said it was ok to mention him). Being a nice chappy he asked if everything was ok unfortunately for him he had grumpy Ben this day I said no and if I had not paid in advance I would be of on my travels he was amazed and asked why I told him the lot he got both barrels. Anyway after listening to my moans and groans he reassured me it was a hiccup and all would be sorted soon and even said I could go in the other entrance if I wanted with my car (for the Exhibitors).
    Well if it hadn’t been for him I would have been of

Well later that day I had a good walk around the stands having a good old natter to people and generally enjoying life Then I got hungry so I went to the cafe for some food All good i think standing in the queue well an hour later I was back to my grumpy me and still in the queue if I had known it would cost £.50 for a small bun with a bit of pigeon in it I would have cooked my own

I got back to my pitch later on to find a couple of Indians had moved in as my neighbours I thought cool we can get some scalps later on that should keep me happy but I was let down to find out they where like me and not scalp hunters Anyway we had a good old natter swapping stories and stuff and I mentioned all of you lot on here and how nice you are so they might come on and say hello

The next day I spent packing away but it was great one of the guys staying in a tepee came over and asked if I fancied a bacon and egg butty naturally I had to try it out Yum it was lovely I would have paid £3.50 for that now anyway I bimbled of home and got back to lick my wounds and the midgy bites still itch.

In general I had a good time but not due to the venue basically making my own entertainment and chopping bits of trees down to make things and talking to people

If I would recommended it to anyone for next year WELL if it is the same as this years then save your money and go to somewhere better.

I will post some pics in a min I hope the write up is ok for you lot

In comparison Footsteps of Discovery I will defo do again

Some of my pics from the weekend :)

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I was there on Sunday, I'd be the one with the two mad little blonde girls blowing sycamore whistles constantly.
    I'd have to say on the sunday the show wasn't as great as I expected. Don't get me wrong the stands were fantastic and the people great, however the event organisers moved and swapped so many things that our plan for the day was thrown completely out of the window and my little 'uns didn't get to do what they wanted.

Never got around to your stand JP, the crowd around it when we did get there was pretty big, so we gave it a miss hoping to catch you at the Childrens woodland walk at 1130, only that appeared to be either cancelled or started somewhere else - the event staff couldn't tell me which. I nearly gave up on any of the childrens activities until Perry managed to get out of rope making for long enough to teach my eldest some tracking skills and bow drill in an almost one on one lesson. A big thankyou to him as it made her day.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Oh I hope I havent caused a misunderstanding here Im not knocking the stands they where great the organisers should have been shoot tho

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    I was there on Sunday, I'd be the one with the two mad little blonde girls blowing sycamore whistles constantly.
    I'd have to say on the sunday the show wasn't as great as I expected. Don't get me wrong the stands were fantastic and the people great, however the event organisers moved and swapped so many things that our plan for the day was thrown completely out of the window and my little 'uns didn't get to do what they wanted.

Never got around to your stand JP, the crowd around it when we did get there was pretty big, so we gave it a miss hoping to catch you at the Childrens woodland walk at 1130, only that appeared to be either cancelled or started somewhere else - the event staff couldn't tell me which. I nearly gave up on any of the childrens activities until Perry managed to get out of rope making for long enough to teach my eldest some tracking skills and bow drill in an almost one on one lesson. A big thankyou to him as it made her day.
    Aye it was moved but no one was informed buddy ! we will be at the wilderness gathering as always so be there or be square as they say
    "Tracking is the road - bushcraft is the vehicle - Nature and wildlife is the destination."
    http://www.woodlife.co.uk/woodlife-trails/