Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wilderness Gathering

raised fires in fire boxes or bbqs only i tink
    "Tracking is the road - bushcraft is the vehicle - Nature and wildlife is the destination."
    http://www.woodlife.co.uk/woodlife-trails/

Well got it sorted so going tomorrow, nice early start.
    So will hopefully meet some of the fellow bushcrafters.

I spent Friday at the gathering, it was my first visit and I was like a kid in a sweetshop...!

I was only able to do the one day and in the end I took my daughter and two of my small grandchildren which was great as I am trying to help my daughter introduce them to the outdoors and country crafts etc.

We camped at a small place 3 miles from the Bison Farm on the Thursday night so we could get there at a reasonable time on Friday as it's 2.5 hrs drive from where we live in Wales. Took 4.5 hrs on the return trip home due to delays with 3 separate traffic incidents/accidents ...!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0044.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	2259

The weather on Thur was pretty wet but on Friday the weather was good, perfect for an event like this and a great time was had by all.

Didn't manage to catch up with anyone else whilst I was there this time but hoping to do the whole 3 day weekend next year and camp in the woods so I can get some social time.

Paul.
    Last edited by paul standley; 21-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Not a bad event all things considered. The weather turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag with good downpours for setting up and some glorious sunshine with the odd bid of rain just to make sure that the mud didn't get chance to dry up over the weekend! Good to meet some familiar faces and put some new faces to familiar names. Dave was doing his best as usual with his assistant Chris the Cat (good to see them both but the 2am cider session was badly timed with driving home today).
    The setting up part wasn't too bad. From the car park to the woods was a short walk and a trolley that I bought on the way turned out to be a good investment in helping to get the heavier items to the pitch, 3 trips was all that was needed but being realistic I don't think I could take anything less with the family trips. All that was taken was used and needed a little thought for getting over problems where kit left at home could have helped, but thats part of the fun with these outings. The Ronnie Sunshines dutch oven kit was well used and all meals were cooked with this over the fire using the tripod that the kids made at the Cornwall RV earlier in the year. It all worked a treat and will certainly continue to cook this way when out and about with the family again.
    There were a good selection of traders at the Gathering and money certainly seemed to be passing hands well enough (did from my wallet anyway). The Bison burgers were definately worth a try with food and drink on the whole being pretty good.
    Any gripes? Well, if I was being picky, some of the organised events were a little disorganised at times with last minute changes to the times or a lack of info on numbers, costs etc. but due to the size of the event there are bound to be some problems. The only other problem really was the rain, all timber was soaked and any wood to be had was mostly green and took some persuation to get burning. We did take a net of logs as a 'just in case' but these turned out to be just as wet as the scavenged timber! But persistence meant we still ate when we needed to and is certainly something I will plan for next time round.
    Best bit - the new DD 3x3 tarp as without it we would have been wet and hungry! It made the ideal shelter to cook, sit and eat under.

Definately recommend to anyone else who may be considering it next year but just watch the cider!

Well got back on saturday evening after a very long and eventful day at the gathering. First time and thought it was fantastic. Wandered round all the stalls several times chatted to some great people and just relaxed.
    Spent a little bit of money, and controlled myself.
    I would have loved to have camped but alas not possible this time so maybe next year.

Here's a link to a 4 pt video summary of the wilderness gathering by Sean M. (AKA Silverfox)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJY1T...&feature=feedu

I met Sean briefly on Friday but the vids were taken on the Sunday so I missed my 15 seconds of fame...!

Paul.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Alone in the Wilderness
    Just been looking at the pics over at Woodlife, nice to see my old pal Boss made it.