Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Hello

Hi everyone. I wonder if you guys can help me. I'm training for my level 3 forest school leader and work with young children. I love my work, but what I really need is the chance to get away from it all sometimes and spend some down time with adults who can share their bushcraft skills with me. I'm quite an old lass and used to roughing it, and grew up in the woods so I blend in pretty well. Any ideas? Live on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Last edited by lruggier; 31-05-2011 at 04:51 PM.

hi there
    Have a good look around, there is loads to plough through on the forum and the website. Ivan has a bushcraft friendly place on the south side of Dartmoor which you may be interested in visiting. Check this thread (amongst others) http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...h-Mon-30th-May
    Loadsa folk happy to help on here

All the best

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am delighted to have found some like-minded people.

Would appreciate some advice on a good knife and other basic tools, items that have serviced any of you well. I haven't got a lot of money to spend (we work with children to make a difference, not to get rich) but willing to pay well for good kit that will last and do the job properly.

" Charcoaler "
    Hi Iruggier , welcome to the wonderful world of NB , hope to meet you soon and hopefully you will get to the chance to come and sample my place .
    Thankyou very much for your kind comments on my visitor page ...

Atb Ivan...
    The member formerly known as Marcus Absent

Tribal Elder
    hey welcome to the forum!

Mora knives are basic but solid... tends to be the recommended choice for a budget bushcraft knife

Iruggier - Welcome...

Most of us would probably recomend a Mora Clipper knife, inexpensive and very good quality in either stainless steel or carbon steel. Hunt around the net, you can pick them up for £9 or £10 new.

My advice would be to also get a small multi-tool, if cash is thin on the ground then halfords do one for £2 or £3 or GO Outdoors do some for just a few pounds. To a large extent it depends how much you will use the kit. Inexpensive serves well for occassional trips but for more extensive or heavy use then you may need to up the anti cash wise.

Kit-wise, you'll get a lot of advice on this forum and some varying ideas and then you'll need to decide for yourself...!

What do you use for a stove, cooking pot etc ?

Paul.
    Last edited by paul standley; 01-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Eyup from oop north. Rather large Dartmoor contingent now isnt there ?
    [

I would love to come and visit your place. Just name the date/event and I will be there. I'm working and also studying two 1 yr courses at the moment, so a change of scene would serve as a much needed break!

Also thanks to everyone for the great advice on tools.