Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Help for the homeless

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    What are the RBL and the SSAFA? (I'm not ex services). Are they likely to co-op on such an idea do ya think?

Royal British Legion, and the Soldiers, Sailors And Air Forces Assoc.
    [

Tribal Elder
    How come so many ex services end up in the ****? It may be niavety but I always assumed that we took care of our ex service personnel? My dad left with a war pension after getting sick in the army...

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Know what you mean. All some guys(and girls) need is a sympathetic and understanding ear, someone to pull up a sandbag/swing the lamp/ have a brew with. m prepared to listen/brew up and a trained medic too.
    If you have a look on the RBL or SSAFA website they will have contact details they are always after people to help out I just wanted to ge more homeless help and get really heavy into it. I'm not a medic or anything but I worked as a carer in Germany with the whole range of the disable to (I dont know the name of it in English Sterbebegleitung basically I looked after people till they died). It was abit heavy at times but I loved the job and I always feel drawn towards trying to help people where I can.
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    How come so many ex services end up in the ****? It may be niavety but I always assumed that we took care of our ex service personnel? My dad left with a war pension after getting sick in the army...
    The military doesnt only the people who feel for them or guys that set up a support network there is the Veterans welfare but that is mainly pensions and War Pensions not any help if your stuck When I left the Army I just sort of walked out the gate and even now still wish I could go back

youve got to be joking mate,the people in power never do enough for our service people in or out of the forces,its a disgrace,i could rant all night about it lol,my grandfather who was a sgt major in ww2 told me loads of storys and one of them sickens me to this day and i know it made my grandfather very bitter and angry,this old vet had lost his limbs, and because he could hobble around they cut his state benefits and he was forced to cycle around london to sell boxes of matches just to eat and to live,thank god for royal british legion and other organisations and all the hard work they do,but they shouldnt be doing it
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

The Corps of Commisionaires was set up as a not for profit company to help service personnel into employment, BLESMA, Combat Stress, H4H, RBL, SSAFA............ all there for one reason and one reason only......because the state wasn't/isn't/can't/won't
    [

Sots

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    apparently according to statistics 1 in 10 homeless people are ex service personnel !

6% of all homless people in London are ex forces.

this charity is trying to help

http://www.soldiersoffthestreet.com/index.html"]http://www.soldiersoffthestreet.com/index.html[/URL]

these guys are doing brilliant work. actually going out and helping ex service rough sleepers, a real shoestring job at the moment, but doing much better work than well funded others! good no nonsense people too.

contact them and if they are not doing anything in your area, they will try to do so. look them up on facebook.

hi guys I think we have hit a note here so why don't we try our bit I wont have decent internet until the 7th but I will be back I think all the ex forces guys have stories to tell about there time. As we all had something going on in my case I only ever talk about the good times and if it is bad I like to make it funny anyways.

Hats of to the guys in at the min I wouldnt fancy there job for a million quid an hour and even when they are doing it they do it with pride for our country and not our goverment I think

I swore my oath to the Queen not the goverment

This country has always been very poor in the way that it looks after its ex-service personnel
    This was one of the reasons that some people set up http://www.holidays4heroes.org/. We've done BBQs, held raffles, held sponsered parachute jumps etc even tried to sell Forum members for "services" (not really) Holidays4Heroes has tapped into the Spanish villa owners and take the villa when there are no bookings. Then we have to find the cost of the air fares plus some spending money
    When Help4Heroes started they were overwhelmed by the response of the British public; so much so, that they had huge sums of money and, initially, had great difficulty in getting organisations to take it
    The new swimming pool at Headleigh Court has been built by the money subscribed to Help4Heroes. Some of you may remember the reaction of the local swimming pool where the Headleigh Court people were asked not to bring limbless patients down for a swim. Now HC have their own
    Some of the people are having a camping weekend up in Hereford where they will be painting The Boathouse (alledgedly) and also raising some more funds for Hols4H.
    Last edited by happybonzo; 30-05-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post

I swore my oath to the Queen not the goverment
    Totally 100% agree there Ben.

Fortunately my job was beneficial to everyone and I now take pride in serving the Queen, and indeed the people I helped. When I first left, I had no pride, and if it wasn't for Emma, I'd probably be living wild too. I look at the forces personel now with pride and also pity, they may not be happy about the politics surrounding their job, but they took an oath to serve the Queen and they bravely do that job diligently and without falter.

Upon leaving, many folks are left scarred and ill-equipped for civilian life. This is the single greatest failing of the armed forces. They spend years tuning their personel to adapt to life in the forces and do not even attempt to help re tune them to civilian life upon leaving.
    It took me months to adjust and in that time I experienced anxiety, hatred of society and a longing to be alone. Without Em, I wouldn't have made it through this transition.

I like the idea of some form of 'homeless' living training, a bit of urban bushcraft type thing for folks not wishing to enlist in post forces society...

What are you thinking of Ben? I'd be keen to help, any which way I can

All the best

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace