Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: An insight into SAR

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell View Post
    I know the Hartland lot, but not any further really.
    I have a mate works with them
    [

May know my good friend Laurie then

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    May know my good friend Laurie then
    Might very well too...easy to spot..he's the only one with a dog
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell View Post
    I know the Hartland lot, but not any further really.

Its ok my mate does know you I asked him...James and Poppy both instantly recognisable
    [

In Norway if you want to drive a boat that is more than 26 foot or has a motor with more than 25Hp requires a license. To get the licence you must prove that you meet a minimum standard in navigation and knowledge skille, but your practical ability in boat handling is not tested. If caught without a licence the fine is 540£ and you lose the right to drive a boat for a year.

However when they introduced the law, anyone born before 1979 is excempt, and do not need a license...But I have had one since I was 14. Took the course during 8th grade
    as it was offered by my school as an extra subject :-)

Anyway, I go fishing in a 8 foot SIB (soft hull inflatable boat) with a Johnson 4hp outboard from 1973 at sea. I see no problem in that as long as I am aware what I am doing.

I carry a maritime VHF (waterproof, strapped to my body) and flares, wear a floatsuit so that SAR can spot my dead body (i'll be gone from exposure long before they find me in these waters). I listen to the weather fore cast, watch the skies around me and I know the signs of the weather changing and that happens FAST around here. Somebody always knows where I am going and when I plan to be back and I always SMS my wife every top of the hour when I am out (mostly for her sake, she worries). I never go into open waters, and I island hop.

Around here there is thousands of small islets and islands. So I plan my route so that if a have to cross a stretch of open water, I stay by the shore as far as I can, and then I go from Islet to Islet, so that I alwyas have some form of land nearby. If the weather turns too bad for me to get safely back, i can always go to shore or onto an islet. And I have a waterproof survival bag with everything a need to keep me going for a couple of days, so mostly I won't need rescue if I have to sit tight for a few days.

Life will be very boring if everything you do is to be 100% safe. Life as I see it is about risk management. I think the way I do it is way within acceptable risk...but I understand there are a few numpties
    who are ignorant or simply ignore what the risks are. And thos that will have to deal with them have my sympaties. It's the same type of people you meet in the mountains wearing nothing but a jeans and a t-shirt on a nice summer day, unaware that they could be in fog as thick as soup or have a blizzard within 5 minutes, or like the French and Belgian tourists who wen't skiing down an avalanch run a month a ago....4 of them wenę't home in a box....
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 11-04-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum