Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The White Box Stove Review

Thanks for that review. For me it wasn't so much a review rather a tutorial as to what the heck an alcohol stove was. I've been on hundreds of camping trips
    but never once seen anyone with one of these units. Maybe it's a regional thing; we either use a campfire or a pressurized naphtha burning stove (often both). They look
    like a good unit for a solo one or two day trip.

bushcraftboy
    An excellent review, but I think the recycled stove looks very flimsy. Although under 3 minutes is very good boiling time.

Hobo
    Good review and good critical replies. I like the speed for a quick brew. I guess for cooking I will stay with the Regular Trangia Alcohol burner inside the Ikea utensils strainer (or the woodfire).

I'll try to see how the brass trangia burners fares in the test.

Trapper
    I have a trangia microlite which comes as a small pot, a pot stand/windshield and the burner unit with a pot grabber. It is ok for cooking and aimed at adventure racers and real light weight campers. You can adjust the heat but I only ever boil water for noodles, tea or food pouches. The burner weighs a ton but the rest is very light. I have dumped the burner and put the white box in there instead. Hey Presto, light weight fast food on the go. I wouldn't want to try and cook sausages in a pan or fry an egg over it as it's too fierce but the 11p a pack noodles from ASDSA or the 90p a pouch curries are perfect for my needs.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    An excellent review, but I think the recycled stove looks very flimsy. Although under 3 minutes is very good boiling time.
    It's not flimsy, a DIY pop-can stove is a lot flimsier than the white-box. Don't get me wrong you wouldn't want to stand on it but then again you wouldn't want to stand on any stove!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    ... I wouldn't want to try and cook sausages in a pan or fry an egg over it as it's too fierce but the 11p a pack noodles from ASDSA or the 90p a pouch curries are perfect for my needs.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences Dan. Whilst I agree thats the one thing the white box stove lacks is the control/speed factor I can assure you; you can infact cooking sausages or eggs over it in a frying pan no problem. I would use this stove for that primarily, but you could do it.

I use it more for that instant quick/easy brew.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Trapper
    That's the same as me, boil water as fast as you can for a brew. Drop the pouch of food in til it boils then take out the pouch and drop a tea bag in. Take out the tea bag and use it to clean the bottom of the pan. Easy.

i had seen your vid on this before but having seen it again i had a go at making one out of a old .5l ali water bottle,

i need to crimp and smooth the top edge but on a test run seems quite good and very hot!!!

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rich290185 View Post
    i had seen your vid on this before but having seen it again i had a go at making one out of a old .5l ali water bottle,

i need to crimp and smooth the top edge but on a test run seems quite good and very hot!!!
    DIY job? Sounds good ... as long as you've still got both your eye-brows!
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace