Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The White Box Stove Review

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proventurer View Post
    ..I was expecting a slower burn time, but I've found 3 - 4 mins as average over the course of a South African year ...
    bearing in mind the amount I was boiling (300ml) might be less than you normally put in your kettle, 300ml was about 1 mug full.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Many thanks Ash, Jack & Proventurer. I have to admit I didn't consider the white box as a good cooking stove while I was watching the vid, the thought of balancing pans on it wouldn't thrill me, but as a quick brew kit it looks useful. Nice to know they have considered the edges. It may make me sound like a bit of a clot but I have given myself a few spectacular wounds over the years. Nearly always by rushing and complacency, so I try to avoid getting kit that increases the risk.

Cheers for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

My times are based on +/- 450ml, as an aside to using the WBS with other units, I tried it with the Mkettle (Volcanoe), that's a pint (500ml) the flames roared through
    the kettle like a jet engine, boiling time for the 500ml was 3.26 mins.

Have you done a "boil time" with a standard Trangia?
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

That's a negative, but if you have some info to share, I'm always willing to learn from my peers, I don't own a Trangia, if this is something I should have in my kit, your opion would be gratefully appreciated.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    That's a negative, but if you have some info to share, I'm always willing to learn from my peers, I don't own a Trangia, if this is something I should have in my kit, your opion would be gratefully appreciated.
    In my opinion, a Trangia is only something you should have if you own a time machine and regularly travel back 20 years or so. If not, the weight and inefficiency make it a non starter.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thanks for that Martin!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Thanks for that Martin!
    Always a pleasure.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Have you done a "boil time" with a standard Trangia?
    I haven't as I don't own one, however I know the Tatonka Stainless Steel Meths burner featured in the video isn't too far away from the Trangia design. Whilst I kinda like the Tatonka one in some ways it is slow, but then like you say if your cooking food directly over it (using a pot-stand) the slower Tatonka stove will produce a less intense, slower burn which is probably better for cooking food on.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I've had my Trangia for more than 30 years and it's still going strong. I'll just have to give it a go and then I'll post on here - 300ml of water at tap temperature? ... that's providing I don't neck the Meths first

Just in case anyone is thinking of the gas conversion for their Trangia: I would have to say that it was one of the most disappointing bits of kit that I have bought. I didn't know much about Propane and Butane when I bought it but I soon found out.
    The cylinders that are sold as mix of the two gases are a bit of a misnomer. The two gases do not mix and it is the Propane that burns off first leaving the Butane. As I found out, Butane does not like the cold at all. It took 25 minutes to burn some sausages while my Daughter and I sat there freezing and suffering from the raging munchies having just returned from a heavy session at the pub.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/