Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Are you a lightweight lugger or a heavyweight mule?

I'd say I'm a minimalist but not reckless, not overly-light without being too heavy & keep it all in a 50ltr rucksack!

Pack varies dependant on the trip length but always there are:
    Tent 2.75kg
    sleeping bag 1.2kg
    Multimat Adventure Air 500g
    Trangia 27 + Fire Steel750g
    SOL emergency bivy 110g
    Petzl e-lite torch 110g
    Suunto field compass & Map
    2ltr Platypus (usually full)
    Hydropal water filter
    Home-made I-pood trowel & bog roll 200g
    Mosinet
    1st Aid kit
    Camera & Gorilla-pod 700g

Reckon I lugg on average 15kg food & water are the killers!
    For day Hikes just take out the shelter & sleeping kit!

But as already commented it's not too uncomfortable & keeps you fit!
    Last edited by Reaps72; 30-07-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    If it can't be carried it aint needed

I really should start weighing my rucksack more as I've no clue how much I carryy on average at the moment.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Banned
    I prefer light. I spent years perfecting the art of making my bergen look full, so I didn't get another radio battery and a spare GPMG belt tossed my way. Sometimes it had big, 'air gaps' to make it look full! Ha, what a laugh. Anyway, I carried a massive first aid kit, it all worked out.

Now I can get a bag down to just a few kilos for a two night weekend. Mountain marathons teach you to pack very, very light!

Definately a mule. Afterall, beers are heavy not that I've room for any. I fill a British Army PLCE 120Ltr bergan pretty much to the brim. I've always been nice and warm at night though even when my mates have been freezing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Sleeping bag
    Bivy bag
    Fleecing liner
    Spare clothes
    Lines
    Tree huggers
    Karabiners
    Machette
    Axe
    KFSM
    Spare torch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeforeAfter.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	5964

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Definately a mule. Afterall, beers are heavy not that I've room for any. I fill a British Army PLCE 120Ltr bergan pretty much to the brim. I've always been nice and warm at night though even when my mates have been freezing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Sleeping bag
    Bivy bag
    Fleecing liner
    Spare clothes
    Lines
    Tree huggers
    Karabiners
    Machette
    Axe
    KFSM
    Spare torch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeforeAfter.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	5964
    Wow. I wouldn't have enough stuff to fill a 120l rucksack! If I did find enough stuff I'd have trouble lifting it, then if I would need to walk somewhere as well

And to be honest, I'm never cold either. I'm in awe of your ability to survive using so much stuff!

Definitely light. I found out the hard way that trudging along with a massive pack (not including my old tent and sleeping gear) across rough terrain SUCKS.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    trudging along with a massive pack (not including my tent and sleeping gear) across rough terrain SUCKS.
    True which is why I would prefer some people to stay at home and not get lost on hills and mountains
    [

Yep. I'm a volunteer (well, "unofficial volunteer") at a 900 acre park across the street from my house, and I can't tell 'ya how many fools get lost because they were too stupid to take a map and compass or to go with someone who knew the ins-and-outs of the woodlands. Drives me nuts, especially when they hike deep into the forests AT NIGHT. I'm glad I'm not the one answering the phone calls at the park office, because I'd give them an earful.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Defo a Mule in winter, usmc sleep system sees my pack half full, then lots of extras "Just in case" It's mine and my son's lives I'm playing with why risk them?

Camped high in the mountains in March and was real glad of the comfort and safety stuff, my bl###dy legs ached but it could have been serious if we weren't prepared,
    You never know, if you are not prepared then you also risk other brave peoples lives, as some of you well know.

Not too bad in warmer times, happy to rough it when the risks are minimal
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyRider View Post
    I prefer light. I spent years perfecting the art of making my bergen look full, so I didn't get another radio battery and a spare GPMG belt tossed my way. Sometimes it had big, 'air gaps' to make it look full! Ha, what a laugh. Anyway, I carried a massive first aid kit, it all worked out.

Now I can get a bag down to just a few kilos for a two night weekend. Mountain marathons teach you to pack very, very light!
    A man after my own...

Years of lunking kit, spare ammo, and medikit... hence used to heavy loads...

On a recent sponsored walk I did, had a 65ltr pack loaded to the hilt with stuff, plus tent and sleep mat packed outside, and a guesstimate of 60 lb +.. and I managed 12 out of the 16 miles intended, only because the other two couldn't finish.........

It goes to show if you're used to being a Yak, weight means little to you..
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......