Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Are you a lightweight lugger or a heavyweight mule?

I try and pack light but always end up looking like a third world Donkey.

I will learn one day ............................... Then again!!!

Cheers
    AL

Historically I'm a pack mule, but slowly but surely, I have be reducing the amount of gear I carry and lightening the weight of what gear I am left with, as I aspire to be a lightweight larry.

Sadly, I fear the best I can hope for is becoming a middleweight muggins as:
    A) I do like having lots a potentially handy things in my pack
    B) I keep forgetting I'm aiming for lightweight status and buy things like the 9kg Polish sleep mat (VERY comfy, but not that practical for hiking)

I'll go lightweight next year
    Ansum La

I'll go lightweight next year

haha aye me too

Cheers
    AL

Hi all,

First post, So be gentle... :0)

I have to admit, I am definitely a mule... I carry for just about every eventuality,as was the case when I was in the Army...

Here's a list of my kit....

65ltr Pathfiinder pack.. internal frame.
    Vango sleeping bag
    Bivvi bag,
    Ponch/basha
    Mess tins, carrying powdered soups, and brews.
    Tablespoon... For eating and stirring brew up.
    Paracord.. Two hanks of it..
    Compass, silva ex-army issue, plus spare one.
    Map,Case, Pen,Notebook, And I.C.E details.
    Water bottles.. 2 1/2 ltr worth.
    Enamel mug.
    Waterproofs.
    Walking poles.. (bad knees, and for making improvised tent poles for basha).
    First aid kit.. Quite a full one to be able to deal with a majority of situations likely to occur.
    Wooly hat.
    Gloves.
    Knife... Multitool jobby,plus sharpener.
    Binoculars.. Small pair just for anything that catches my eyes.
    Head torch.. has three settings, including flashing, so good for use in an emergency for being spotted.
    Survival tin... Similar to one I had in Army, just updated slightly.
    Emerency shelter/heat sheet thing.. makes a ridge type shelter, or tie up one end to make a thermal emergency bag.
    Whistle.. i have three.. One on my 65 ltr pack, one on my 25 ltr pack, and one on my floatation suit for sea fishing.
    Coleman Stove and fuel.
    Tinder box
    Firesteel.
    Towel.. Both for cleaning pots and kit, plus me if needs.

Then there is the food I would be carrying to last as needed, plus a bit more just in case....

My 25 ltr pack has the following... which i use out of my large pack when not in use..

Bivvy bag and poncho.
    Thermal shelter/bag
    Mug
    Brewkit
    Hexi stove and blocks
    map, case & compass with notebook, pen, and I.C.E details.
    Food for trip, pluss 24 hr emergency.
    Poles.
    Waterproofs
    head torch.
    Whistle.

There might be a bit more, but getting tired, and brain is failing..

Wish everyone a great night oout if under the stars, and good night if you are in the armchair.

Regards,

Si.

Trapper
    I consider myself to be a bit of a pack mule, and this year my goal has been to slim down the weight by replacing older heavier items, and dropping items that aren't really needed. My current kit fits comfortably in a 45litre rucksack and I reckon if I packed it slightly better i'd have room to spare. Most of my weight comes in food, I reckon probably 15l is made up of rehydratable ration packs, snacks and tea/coffee.

Samuel Hearne
    I am bad as i carry everything in my ex issue long back rucksack, and it weighs a ton, i miss having a belt kit which used to carry my food, water, small FAK (first aid kit) RCK (rifle cleaning kit) mags, grenade, spare ammo ect.
    my bergan weighs a ton so might have to sort out a belt kit just for bushcraft that way only need to carry a smaller daysack to hold my sleeping system ect, a good thing i dont have to carry ammo ect anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    I am bad as i carry everything in my ex issue long back rucksack, and it weighs a ton, i miss having a belt kit which used to carry my food, water, small FAK (first aid kit) RCK (rifle cleaning kit) mags, grenade, spare ammo ect.
    my bergan weighs a ton so might have to sort out a belt kit just for bushcraft that way only need to carry a smaller daysack to hold my sleeping system ect, a good thing i dont have to carry ammo ect anymore.
    Great minds think alike I see.........

Recently "aquired" my lads '58 skeleton kit.. Yolk, Ammo pouches, and kidney pouches... Just got to get the water pouch, and thinking the respirator pouch to hold bivvi bag and poncho...

I have to say, i never ised to see the point in ligt weight kit, mainly because of te cost. But since buying the light weight type of kit for Peru, im converted. I can feel my bank balance quivering already...

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbC View Post
    I have to say, i never ised to see the point in ligt weight kit, mainly because of te cost. But since buying the light weight type of kit for Peru, im converted. I can feel my bank balance quivering already...

Robb
    You have seen the light!! Pun totally intended.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

The lightweight route can be very addictive and, if you're not careful, very very exspensive. I have probably spent too much already and continue to look for lighter and less bulky gear in an effort to shrink the size and weight of the pack.