Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Are you a lightweight lugger or a heavyweight mule?

I'm a pack mule I'm afraid, well my canoe and my camper van are

If I were to go back packing again I would go a hell-ov-a lot lighter.....

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Hummm, I used to be a mule... truth be told there was never much in the pack but whatever was in there it was heavy!!!

Slowly reducing the weight, my problem is cost, I would love to go out and buy all the super light weight kit but I cant - sad face!
    I think I am slowly developing a happy medium but saving weight where I can. I think the biggest weight saving I made was just the other day and not take water - well thats not true, but rather than taking 3+ L I got a water filter and now only take 1 or 2L.

1jack1pike

+ 1 for the water filter for reducing your pack weight!

Quote Originally Posted by suggy View Post
    + 1 for the water filter for reducing your pack weight!
    Thanks I used to fill my 3L bladder to the top then take a "emergency" 1L bottle - I found I rarely drink more than 2L and that includes a few cups of coffee. So thats what I carry. Have a err Water bottle filter thing (you whack the water in and 15 mins later walah!) and a sawyer mini as my main "I have ran out of water oops" sort of thing. It means I have to be more careful managing my water, filling up when I have the chance but I believe in a climate like England you will never be further than an hour or two from water.

Must admit going for a walk has been much nicer since I was able to ditch 10kg of 'routine' gear from my sac
    [

Hi sapper -what did you ditch? or did you swap for lighter? If you dont mind me being nosey :P

Ditched the compulsory helmet, harness, ironwork, rope, medical kit and other associated stuff I needed in SAR Now I only walk for pleasure and its very nice
    [