Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a lightweight lugger or a heavyweight mule?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are you a lightweight lugger or a heavyweight mule?

I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. How do you pack? Do you pack heavy and put up with the weight, happy with the thought that you're prepared for anything that comes your way (a mule). Or do you prefer a light pack with only a few basics for easy walking, and put up with discomfort if something does go wrong. (e.g. it rains for the weekend and you have no change of clothes) If think I am inbetween although I like the idea of lightweight lugging more than being a mule, mainly for a bit of speed. So what's your opinion?

Trapper
    Hi Trapper,

I am a heavy mule packer or maybe a worrier as my missus tells me. But I like the idea of packing as much equipment into my 25litre rack sack before going out for a walk, never know what I want to practise when out and about. I normally carrying for two anyway, maybe re-word it as donkey!! I usually pack change clothes, 24 hours food, knive, flint, torch, whistle, first aid kit, bivvy bag, tarp, sleeping bag, cord, compass, map and mess equipment. It is heavy but it keeps me fit carrying it about.

Tribal Elder
    lightweight...truth be known in good conditions i'd probably leave the house with my blizzard bag, crusader mug, swiss army knife, medikit(water puri tabs in here) and some food

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    It all depends Jack. If it's a two or three night camp within 5 mins of the car then it the full 'kitchen sink' job. However, if I'm walking any distance then I will go as lightweight as possible using all the mod-cons I can lay my hands on. I have accumulated some of the lightest gear out there to bring my pack weight down and feel that I'm getting as low as I can go without seriously compromising safety or comfort.

Hopefully I'll get to see just how light it all is when we do the Ten Tors challenge soon. Can't wait to do the pack weigh in.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    It all depends Jack. If it's a two or three night camp within 5 mins of the car then it the full 'kitchen sink' job. However, if I'm walking any distance then I will go as lightweight as possible using all the mod-cons I can lay my hands on. I have accumulated some of the lightest gear out there to bring my pack weight down and feel that I'm getting as low as I can go without seriously compromising safety or comfort.

Hopefully I'll get to see just how light it all is when we do the Ten Tors challenge soon. Can't wait to do the pack weigh in.

Martin
    That's the same as me.

Went to the Peak District a few years back when I was green. Carried 20kg. Idiot. Now got my pack weight down to 9kg. Result.

I'm a pack mule, but also relatively inexperienced with camping, am learning though and reducing my gear as I go along. Heading out tomorrow for a four day camping/fishing trip, have a packed 65L backpack (clothes, shower stuff, tools, etc.), large duffle (has my rain gear, sleeping pads, wool blankets, life jacket, etc), small bag for eating stuff (plates, spices, leather bag full of bannock mix, etc), and my fishing rods, tackle bag. What I've been seeing frm the other guys, I'm actually one of the lighter ones.

I'm a pack mule, I fill my Lowe Alpine salient to the brim every time I leave .
    Best Wishes,
    James

"Do not look to the ground for you next step; Greatness lies with those who look to the horizon."

Most of my woodland camps are heavyweight but I have recently started to pack smaller lighter gear and must say that I like it a lot. I can travel further quicker. But when winter comes I will be loading up all the comforts which means a lot of extra weight.

Sherpa Al here for sure! Though most trips for the last twenty years or so have been in a canoe so keeping the weight down isn't so important to me.

While I do enjoy a trip to the hills now and then, it's not such a high priority as messing about in boats for me, so my kit choices have geared to that and I can't justify forking out for a whole load of titanium stuff now.

Al