Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with airguns

Good write, thanks for sharing that

Trapper
    This may sound stupid...

My father-in-law has just bought 1.2 acres of woodland behind his house that a developer had been interested in. My FIL reckoned he'd prefer to pay the extra and end up with a big garden rather than see 20+ houses crammed on the land, all looking over his currently small garden. The land is in pretty poor nick, its been unmanaged for decades, and the tree are bent in all kinds of crazy ways to reach sunlight, the ground is a mass of nettles and brambles, and its overrun with rabbits.

We're interested in managing the wood better, cutting back some of the worse trees, planting some new ones, and clearing the brambles and nettles to encourage new growth. Regarding the bunnies, theres too many to shoot, so we're looking into other methods, but we're interested in an air rifle for management of them after the initial cull. Are we legally able to shoot them because they are on our land?

Yes! Without a doubt.
    Your land, and you're managing a problem. Fire away and enjoy rabbit, in the quantity you "used" to eat chicken

Stew
    Breaded
    Fried
    Baked
    BBQ
    Spit Roast

Lucky man!

Do you have a rifle? If not, What's your budget?
    You can spend anything from £60 - £1000+

Before you go out for rabbit, you need to make sure you can hit a 1" group consistently. You owe it to your quarry to make sure it's a clean kill.

Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Trapper
    Cheers f0rm4t.

We don't eat chicken, family is allergic to it . I'm never sure about rabbit, the ones sold by the local butcher has a very strong flavour.

No rifle yet, budget would be £150-£250. I probably wouldn't be shooting it - i'm visually impaired - I see 7 of everything all the time. The chance of me hitting a 1" target is LOW!!!

Blindgeek. My mum lives in Leeds, happy to pop over when I'm visiting with my rifle and let you try it out, I could even bring my ferrets over to show you the alternative to shooting them. I only live a short drive from Leeds
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Blindgeek. My mum lives in Leeds, happy to pop over when I'm visiting with my rifle and let you try it out, I could even bring my ferrets over to show you the alternative to shooting them. I only live a short drive from Leeds
    Take Sapper up on that one!
    I'd like to see that first hand myself!
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by blindgeekuk View Post
    Cheers f0rm4t.

We don't eat chicken, family is allergic to it . I'm never sure about rabbit, the ones sold by the local butcher has a very strong flavour.

No rifle yet, budget would be £150-£250. I probably wouldn't be shooting it - i'm visually impaired - I see 7 of everything all the time. The chance of me hitting a 1" target is LOW!!!

Fill ya boots!
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/products9.html
    Paul

My YOUTUBE Channel
    Leave no trace

if he is too blind to shoot ferrets are a great option. got 2 spare fuzzies here from this years crop you can have for free.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    if he is too blind to shoot ferrets are a great option. got 2 spare fuzzies here from this years crop you can have for free.
    Cant beat free ferrets !!! Very nice of you fish
    [

well if we can organise a relay we could get them up country,i am at BA12 6RQ,willing / able to travel 20 miles to relay to next person.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.