Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with airguns

Hobo
    Hi Ash,
    What licence have you applied for?
    Sandy

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    like this post , lots of good info on air rifles, looking to get into this more over the next few months, expensive hobby tho, some of the rifles cost a fortune, its a little daunting when you don't know a lot about air guns, they range from 20 - 2000 pounds and so what do you look for, i'm sure you get what you pay for but it would be good to have a bit more of a clue! i just want something that can get me some lunch and takes a bit of skill to use, any advice would be great!
    hi Raven! well thats a pretty varied question. first off you need to decide what it is your predominately going to be shooting at. All air rifles will pretty much do a similar job its just how they go about it. I myself shoot mainly birds and small game, IE, rabbit. a bit of pest control to, rats, mice. So i felt best suited to me was a multi shot air rifle, a rifle with a magazine. i also wanted something easy to load, so i can snap back to a target extremely quickly, so a bolt action rifle appealed. this of course led me to the PCP (Pre - Charged Pneumatic) type rifles. Also weather you want to venture to .177 or .22. personally having owned, owning, and fired both types of rifles i would always use a .22.

the initial start up cost is quite expensive. As said, a good rifle like an Air Arms, or Daystate or BSA is going to set you back a few coins, plus the extra's IE, gas bottle/ high pressure foot pump, site, accessories, hard case (very important), ammo etc... However, after that it is extremely cheap. Pellets cost next to nothing online and some of the best quality pellets i use are found on ebay believe it or not. I fill my divers bottle up around once every 2 months whihch costs around a tenner, thats including petrol money getting myself there.

you then need to be thinking about the type of environment. i hunt a lot of crow. Crows have phenomenal eye sight. so camouflage is must for me! this may sound a little extreme but if your going to hunt successfully you may as well do it right!!

hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    like this post , lots of good info on air rifles, looking to get into this more over the next few months, expensive hobby tho, some of the rifles cost a fortune, its a little daunting when you don't know a lot about air guns, they range from 20 - 2000 pounds and so what do you look for, i'm sure you get what you pay for but it would be good to have a bit more of a clue! i just want something that can get me some lunch and takes a bit of skill to use, any advice would be great!
    I shoot everything from .308 to .22 I recently got one of these things from my local Gunsmith for clearing Squirrels. I don't eat Squirrels anymore having seen what they have done to Cousin Cleetus £200 PCP air rifle
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty28 View Post
    Hi all, first post, new to the site but not to the hunting/ bush-craft scene.

Very informative that, displaying some good knowledge. With all the bad press shooters have had over the last few years it good to finally be somewhere where people think like wise to me! Something that was slightly touched on thow is that as said you CANNOT walk into a gun shop at 18 and purchase an air rifle at 12ftlbs. you CAN purchase an air rifle UPTO and not including 12ftlbs. However anything over 12ftlbs in the UK has to be covered by a firearm certificate (FAC).

i shoot a few different types of rifle. my main ' hunting' rifle so to speak is a (PCP) .22 Air Arms S410 Carbine, with a Walther 7 - 12 variable/ light adjustable mill dot site. using predominately RWS hyper velocity pellets. Great rifle, bolt action, 10 round magazine, around 80 good shots per fill up (its less being the carbine version) and is rated around 11.5ish ftlbs if i recall correctly. This for most small game, does the job expertly, cleanly, and more importantly, quickly. Currently have that honed in to a about 10 shots in a 5p piece!

Start up cost is pretty outrageous if im honest. payed ni - on a grand to get the set up. 5 litre divers bottle, was not included, but then the age old phrase you get what you pay for springs to mind.

I use a .22 BSA Scorpion pistol as a rare follow up if need be. rated at around 6ftlbs.

I also own a shotgun and firearm cert, using a 12 Gauge Benelli Supersport for the shotgun. and a GSG - 5SD (carbon copy of suppressed mp5) on the firearm cert.

Anyways, happing shooting. And remember, Good shooting is no accident.
    thank you very much for the correction, that is what i meant to type i'll edit it now
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Trapper
    na its not a mistake to correct buddy, just elaborating on it a bit

thanks a good post

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
    thanks a good post
    We have a Rep button if you like people's threads
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Cool thread
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by Wrighty28 View Post
    Hi

I also own a shotgun and firearm cert, and a GSG - 5SD (carbon copy of suppressed mp5) on the firearm cert.
    Do you get any feed problems with the German Sport Gun - if you don't, what .22LR are you feeding it with? The reason I ask is that all my friends have had feed probs with these rifles.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Do you get any feed problems with the German Sport Gun - if you don't, what .22LR are you feeding it with? The reason I ask is that all my friends have had feed probs with these rifles.
    Alright matey, when I first got it yes definitely. I was using CCI Minimag and it really did not like it. It loves fast ammo. Anything slow and it has a hissy fit with the ejection. After trying various loads I found GECKO to be the best round for it. I started using GECKO after around 3/400 rounds, never cleaned the rifle other than a quick spray with gun lube or WD40 from time to time and up until the point I chopped it in for a Colt M16 tactical rim fire, over 14months later, the only issues I ever had involved the bullets themselves.

The faster ammo the better with the new generation GSG's as the bolt is very heavy. Old generation GSG's I'd advice to shift them as soon as. Owing to the fact that the charging handle impacts on the front iron site mounting and cracks it after a while.

Hope that helps