Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dying a wool blanket

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    It's no good. We need pictures of this purple cloak. Complete with mask please Mike.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    It's no good. We need pictures of this purple cloak. Complete with mask please Mike.

Martin
    I fear someone might be showing some kind of hidden...erm...interests, in this thread...LOL
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Lol, well, I could dig it out of the closet and take a pic of it's purpleness, but I won't be getting much chance to wear it til we get out camping for a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Lol, well, I could dig it out of the closet and take a pic of it's purpleness, but I won't be getting much chance to wear it til we get out camping for a weekend.
    Come on mate get dressed up for us
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Nah, fake pics like that drive me nuts, reminds me of a lot of airsofters that'll get dressed up with their fancy gear, guns, and pose in front of the bathroom mirror. Lol, I'd rather just have random pics taken of me instead of me standing there looking like a fool taking a pic of myself.

Shame on you
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

I dont know if Your orange blanket shrinked, but for those of You who wants to try, the recipy for coloring is to heat it slowly until boiling , then slowly cool it again. Those Dylon people say that make shrinkage less likely. Just a little info.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I dont know if Your orange blanket shrinked, but for those of You who wants to try, the recipy for coloring is to heat it slowly until boiling , then slowly cool it again. Those Dylon people say that make shrinkage less likely. Just a little info.
    Luckily the size of the blanket and the method I used to heat it, meant the temperature rise was very slow. I also let it dry completely naturally too, so didn't get any shrinkage. Thanks for the info Norseman. Would imagine it's completely correct, but as I have never tried a fast method, couldn't say 100%. It makes sense though, as most wool shrinks if you get it too hot, too quickly.

Adam

Cool idea did you ever get the thread with your gear done?

If I recall I do believe bleach and wool is a no no
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

I'll start a thread soon, with the hole blanket roll setup. I need to make a video for youtube anyway, I just forgot completely about it until recently lol.

I've heard bleach isn't great for a lot of fabrics, but wool is probably the worst to try it with