Thread: Fire kit?

dam i need a better signature oh well

long live bushcraft

My opinion would be to leave the "fire kits" online alone and build one up for yourself. That way you can get exactly what you want/need to suit - not somebody elses idea of what you require. You have probably got more than half of your requirements lying around your house. Even if you havent you can build a bespoke kit for not a lot.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Not only that Josh, but as you're only 11 it would be a good idea to do this with a parent rather than try to do this on here. They will be able to give you good advice, knowing what your ability and facilities are.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hey there,

Martin is right. Its easy for a fire to get out of hand. If your interested in bushcraft see if there are some cadets around or perhaps take a look at the scouts. Think you would enjoy plus you will get access to more kit in a safe environment.

You're 11 and seeking advice about building your fire kit from knowledgeable people? Good start. I think it's cool that you're starting off at a young age.

It looks like you've got some good ideas there. You might substitute some natural tinder like crampballs or birchbark for the store-bought stuff. If you have a clothes-dryer at home, or even a laundromat, pull a couple of fistfulls of lint out of the basket after a load of cottons has gone through. That stuff makes fantastic tinder, just have to keep it dry. (Best of all, it's free.) You may just carry the hexamine tablets and windproof matches for an extreme emergency. I've used one before when I needed a quick fire to warm up and didn't want to wait.

Otherwise, keep things above board with your fire-making practice. I nearly set the house on fire a couple of times when I was a kid, and had the fire department called once. It's a great skill to have, just use it properly and you'll get a lot of proper enjoyment out of it.

Later!

Josh (yeah, I'm a Josh too.)

dude that is my own made one bro
    i found em all

long live bushcraft

dude i know what to dude my scout group lets us use the fire kit all the time when we are outnabout dude same to all of you i have a fire kit some where to!

long live bushcraft

dude i am a scout

long live bushcraft

yup i think my kit could have some inpervising dude i can't spell LOL any ways back on topic

the nbc container is good i have look at one inside my loacal surplus store

and hexi just flat-out rules

long live bushcraft