Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara - designed for bushcrafting ?

Banned
    Save on all that licence stuff and do it in the sea http://www.ukswff.co.uk/ apparently sea fly-fishing is perfectly feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Save on all that licence stuff and do it in the sea http://www.ukswff.co.uk/ apparently sea fly-fishing is perfectly feasible.
    It certainly is, but a very different atmosphere and style to river fly fishing, and not so well suited to Tenkara, as it tends to use heavy rods and lines to cope with string currents and winds (and the liklehood of big fish). Having said that several people do sea fish with Tenkara.

Graham

Hey - I like the idea of this, never come across it before. I'm a fly fisherman who fishes mostly streams and brooks with light tackle so this would be a natural extension for me, I'll have to check the whole concept out as I often camp near a trout stream but never wanted to take all my gear with me so a small telescopic system with no reel might just do it.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Hey - I like the idea of this, never come across it before. I'm a fly fisherman who fishes mostly streams and brooks with light tackle so this would be a natural extension for me, I'll have to check the whole concept out as I often camp near a trout stream but never wanted to take all my gear with me so a small telescopic system with no reel might just do it.
    I think its perfect for what you describe. Wales seems to be the Tenkara capital in the UK

As a starter http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

I also bought my so far unused Tenkara furled leader from a maker in Wales.

Graham

it sounds like the earliest type of fishing- the type issac walton and his chumcs used to do. with flies or crickets tied to hooks (obviously we now use synthetic flies) and long rods to drop your fly exactly where you want it. it sounds good, but i think it might struggle on some of the larger rivers. just brought back a memopry to me, i have done this in france where it is popular. i was 10 and it was on a small, deep mountain stream my family were camping next to. i had some monofilment and hooks so i spent all morning collecting grasshoppers and crickets with a local boy who couldnt speak a word of english, but we still got along great. my dad cut me and my new friend 8ft hazel saplings. i tied tabout 3ft of mono to the end and then the hook. i lashed a grasshopper onto that with some thread. my friend signalled for me to get down on my belly like him. puzzled, i copied and crawled up to the bank. we looked over the lip into a deep pool. as if on cue, a trout rose from the bottom, invisible until then, and broke the surface. this was really exciting for me and i gingerly pushed my hazel rod over the edge and plopped my grasshopper onto the water. it ran over the spot where the trout had risen and almost instantly it was gulped up. i was so excited i pulled the hook right out of its mouth. as i tied on another grasshopper my french friend put his hook in the water. i hear a few excited shout and looked over to see his line tight and a bend in his rod. he played the trout to the bank and pulled it up. it was only a pound but to us it was a prize catch! we brought i back to my dad, smiling wildly, both trying to hold it at the same time.
    ok, nostalgia moment over, i don't think it has much on an ordinary fly rod for versatility.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Nice memory, and I guess that before the invention of reels all fishing was a bit Tenkara like, there is still a similar style practiced in part of Spain.

In Japan they had the advantage of bamboo and could develop telescoping rod sections, and it has stayed as a traditional approach on mountain streams.

I certainly agree that its not going to be as versatile as rod and reel, but that's part of its attraction and you might be surprised at what people do with a Tenkara approach. Of course just because you can do something doesn't mean its the best way of doing it.

Graham

i've checked out the videos and it actually looks quite cool
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rushton View Post
    i've checked out the videos and it actually looks quite cool
    I think the coolest thing is that for around 100g you can have a proper flyfishing outfit in your rucksack that takes up virtually no space.

But I also love the simplicity.

Graham

Hmmmmm I'll be careful here - I fish for seabass in the estuaries and creeks in this here part of paradise using lghtweight spinning rods and carp wagglers with the "local killer baits". My good buddy from the midlands is a bloody good fly fisherman from a float tube on English rezzy waters - he came up to my water last year with a Tenkara setup and outfished me on fast moving outbound spring tides three days out of four. Now, I said I'll be careful because his words were to the effect "you should have a go, it's not true fly casting as I know it, but given a bit of practise and technique I reckon you could take big catches in these conditions". Don't quote me on his precise choice of sentence. Over four days he took 11 very nice bass all over 16" with the top catch (after gutting on the bankside - we don't carry scales just measure for legality of catch) arriving home on the BBQ at a shade under 4lbs. Gotta tell you, as a man who only gets turned on by what he can eat when he catches it - it didn't look like no gimmick to me when in the hands of someone who had some idea of how to make it perform. I'm tempted, I have to say. Hope this helps Jack
    What the hell do I know about anything I spent 25 years chucking columbiformes into aero engines

Didn't Robson Green do something similar in his last series of Extreme Fishing ?

http://www.channel5.com/shows/extrem...s/episode-8-61

Watch from 15:58
    [