Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 Dollar Ultralight Camping Survival Stove

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    This all looks great but it doesn't demonstrate how the two sections are sealed when the top goes into the bottom section. Without a good tight seal, the alcohol vapour will leak through this join and make the stove inefficient.

Any ideas?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I was thinking too, with the holes around the middle of that stove it wouldn't hold very much fuel so long cooking times are out..

I don't think that would be too much of a problem as you could just make the stove a little taller or drill the holes a little higher if you anticipate that you will need a longer cooking time.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Peasant
    I'd imagine it's a very tight fit (considering its part of the same bottle) and the pot sits on the top which'll stop some too.

I have made a few of these, except I've used aluminium cosmetic cans (deodorant, shower gel, hair mousse etc) and have never spent the princely sum of one dollar or pound on any of them!

They are an absolute piece of pi....err...a dream to make relative to some other designs, as once the plastic squirty gubbins has been removed, you cut off the top, the bottom (same depth) and add a few strategically placed holes round the circumferance. The inverted top is "whacked" into the bottom with a piece of wood in between to spread the force, and if there is sufficient depth, and the container has a suitable profile, this will produce a nice tight friction fit.

A bit of sanding/roughing inside the base and outside the "top" should prevent later slippage. The further addition of a strip of loft insulation between the two will wick the fuel through to the "jet chamber" which is where we want it in this kind of design.

Hmmm?...the mother in law donated a nice mousse container to me the other day... I might go and make another tonight and take some pics for y'all
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Thanks Zee. That confirms the Whitebox Stove theory then.

Martin

The "no dollar" (mousse can) stove

As promised earlier - pics for the no dollar one dollar stove (at least the ones that would upload...grrr!).

Hope this illustrated adequately. The jet holes were made with a thumb tack and what was syphon tube hole edge was dented slightly with flat head screwdriver to allow fuel to seep into pressure chamber from central reservoir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mousse can 8.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mousse can 1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	1186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mousse can 3.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mousse can 10.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mousse can 6.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1190  

If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

That's seriously good work mate. Thanks for sharing and I can see how the top sits really tight inside the body of the can with the assistance of the wood and hammer.

Martin

Bril stove, can't wait to have ago.

Nice work Bigzee, I see you have the same precision hammer & block tool system that I've got :-)

So, at what point with mousse cans, does the height of stove (and therefore the fuel capacity) become outweighed by the inability of the stove to keep itself hot enough to maintain pressure and vaporisation and thus flame jets ?.

Or put another way, what's the biggest fuel capacity (burn time) that you could produce using this stove design, any idea ?

Paul.
    Last edited by paul standley; 20-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!