Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The psychology of survival

The psychology of survival

One thing that is hasn't been mentioned on the site is the power of positive thinking. You could be perfectly set up for a survival situation but end up dead if you have a pessimistic attitude. Where as a positive person could be given next to nothing but still survive for as long as it takes to get rescued. It's an interesting subject and it makes you wonder how many people have died needlessly because of negative thoughts. As Oddball out of Kelly's Heroes might say, "Knock it off with the negative waves."

I totally agree, the power of positive thinking is immense. The most important thing in survival is to not let things get you down. plus if you have a positive attitude you are more likely to think clearly and make use of your suroundings.

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

i agree lads a positive mental attitude is the key in any survival situation to pull you through problems what will affect your chances such as anxiety,stress,depression etc

I thinks it's important in those situations to keep busy and be actively doing something useful, rather than sitting round thinking and dwelling on "what if...?" That's so much easier when you have useful information in your brain to work with, and why bushcraft sites, courses, TV programmes etc. are of such great value. Not only are they interesting, useful in everyday situations, and can be money-saving, but they could be life-saving.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by basicbushcraft View Post
    i agree lads a positive mental attitude is the key in any survival situation to pull you through problems what will affect your chances such as anxiety,stress,depression etc
    This sounds like me and my job! Got to be time for a lifestyle change

Tribal Elder
    Reasons not to be depressed in a survival situation

1) day off work
    2) no wife

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Reasons not to be depressed in a survival situation

1) day off work
    2) no wife
    So very true!

Are you sitting comfortably? Here's a story I use on courses ...

An American Airforce pilot put his plane down in Greenland, in the snow. The next day, the rescue crew found the plane. There was a set of footprints that went out a half mile from the plane then round in a circle and back. The pilot was sat in the cockpit, cigar stubbed out on the dash, his service revolver in his hand and bullet hole in his head. He was survival trained, he was wearing his down flying suit and the plane was equipped with a life raft and a survival kit. This poor chap clearly lacked the will.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell View Post
    Are you sitting comfortably? Here's a story I use on courses ...

An American Airforce pilot put his plane down in Greenland, in the snow. The next day, the rescue crew found the plane. There was a set of footprints that went out a half mile from the plane then round in a circle and back. The pilot was sat in the cockpit, cigar stubbed out on the dash, his service revolver in his hand and bullet hole in his head. He was survival trained, he was wearing his down flying suit and the plane was equipped with a life raft and a survival kit. This poor chap clearly lacked the will.
    man thats odd...

You might think he might get that way after a couple of weeks of nobody coming with him running out of food, but ONE DAY?! Come on!
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook