Thread: Catering size bean tins?

Peasant

Catering size bean tins?

Anyone got any suggestions as to where I can get one, full or empty -doesn't matter.

I want one for a cooking pot, I've got proper mess tins and even a set of pans that are designed for backpacking but I want something I can put over a fire or in it even and not care about the outside of it. I'd be putting some kind of wire handle on it.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    B and M bargains normally do large catering size tins of fruit for about 99p, I've bought a couple just for the tins in the past.

Little Chef chain use these. Try them for used ones. They gave me a couple when i asked nicely.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Peasant
    Thankyou very much! I'll try to get one sorted by the weekend as I've a night out planned.

Alone in the Wilderness
    are these tins safe to cook directly in or are they only good for boil in the bag??

Tribal Elder
    I seem to remember being told that tins react with whatever is inside them when they are exposed to air... wouldnt use them to cook in outside of an emergency

Why are you worried about the outside of your mess tins and pans?

Catering tins are stainless steel or aluminium theses days, it's a old saying the reaction thing when tin used to be used!

I make hobo & rocket stoves out of catering tins all the time.

to get hold of them regular just ask at any commercial kitchen for them to save them for you, a school, pub, restaurant or golf club

Hobo
    check with a local subway restaurant, hell even a burger king might have those large cans you are looking for... here in canada some subway have pineapple as a topping for you sandwiches, the Heinz Tomato Ketchup comes in a large 1.89 L can (if you need that much lol) and i have seen large tuna cans that seem to be the size of a spindle of blank dvd/cd's which would be great

oh well try again