Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eurohike Backpacker, 2 person tent (pic heavy)

Eurohike Backpacker, 2 person tent (pic heavy)

the blurb...

After a long and gruelling day on the trails, the Eurohike Backpacker 2 Man Tunnel Tent will make a comfortable place to retire to.

With its lightweight and space saving design, this Eurohike tent is designed to meet the needs of those backpacking, hiking and trekking.

Weighing just 2.47kg, the tent will far from make a dramatic increase to the weight of your kit, leaving you free to concentrate on carrying plenty of other items of equipment.

With a lightweight design however, doesn’t come a loss in performance, the Backpacker Tent is designed to be taken to the extreme, with a hydrostatic head of 2000mm, the tent is more than equipped to tackle the downpours the UK experiences in all seasons.

What’s more, outer pitch first means you don’t have to wait until it is dry to pitch the tent. With the outer getting pitched first, the inner is kept protected, remaining nice and dry even in downpours.

Once back at base camp, after a hard and gruelling day on the trails, the last thing you want to be doing is working out the tent schematics, instead colour coded poles make pitching the tent an absolute breeze. No need to work out which pole goes with which tab, just match the colours, simple.

If you are after a lightweight tent that is designed to go the distance without weighing you down when backpacking, hiking and trekking, the Eurohike Backpacker 2 Man Tunnel Tent is the answer.

The specs...

Tent Type 2 Person
    Weight Kilos 2.47
    Tent Height 1 cm 105
    Tent Height 2 cm 95
    Pack Length 60
    Pack Width 16
    Sleeps 2
    Fly Sheet Polyester Taffeta 68D 190T, Fire Retardent, Water Resistant, PU 2000mm
    Inner Material Polyester Taffeta 68D 190T, Breathable, Fire Retardent
    Groundsheet Polyethylene 130g/m2, Fire Retardent
    No of Compartments 1
    No of Doors 1
    Colour Coded Poles Yes
    Hydrostatic Head 2000
    Poles Fibreglass
    Tent Design Tunnel

The review...

My sister was kind enough to let me pitch in her garden, as I we had arranged to head over the local nature reserve, to see if we could find any tracks, and maybe take a few photos, but that's another story. I packed up an overnight kit with the Backpacker in my trusty Karrimor Hot 30. Surprisingly everything I needed, except water, fitted in (or on) the pack. The tent went inside, with USAF sleeping bag, shemagh, hat, mess kit, kettle, headtorch and spare batteries, roll mat strapped to the outside, and a fleece blanket to the top (just in case it got nippy in the night).

The tent itself, packs down to decent size, in it's own bag. If you wanted to use your space a little better, you could ditch the bag, fold the inner and fly, so they fit in the top of your pack, and slip the poles down the back or side of your pack inside.

Here's a photo of the tent packed up, next to most of my overnight kit, except roll mat and sleeping bag.

The Backpacker took me around 10-15 minutes to set up, as It was the first time I pitched this tent (or even took it out of it's bag for that matter) and read the instructions, like a good little boy. The instructions, by the way, are stitched inside the carry bag and printed on waterproof material, so you won't loose them and they won't turn to mush when it rains.

Photos of the tent set up

It's simple to erect, with outer first construction, followed by attaching the inner with toggle/loop and hooks. It was at this point I realised, quality control may be an issue with Eurohike (made in China) tents, as they had not sewn one of these toggle loops in.

I didn't manage to take a photo until later in the evening, but here is an example of a complete toggle/loop, followed by a "loopless" toggle.

This didn't effect the inner too much. It just sagged in a little on one side, but at least it held away from the outer.

Inside this 2 person tent, was just enough room for a regular sized sleeping bag, roll mat, and a minimal amount of kit (small items really, that could fit between you and the sides, without pushing the inner onto the outer).

The porch was big enough to store cooking equipment, boots, axe, and the tents own carry bag. You could have stored your pack in there, once you had zipped up the door and made yourself comfy for the night, with no need to use the entrance again.

And a quick photo, before I put any kit inside the tent.

My sister's cat, Herbie (don't ask) offered her assistance for size comparison.

During the night, the temp went from warm, in the evening, to quite cold, in the middle of the night. At first I slept with the mesh window, in the door, covered. This made things very warm, too warm in fact. The moisture was building up a little on the inside of the tent, but it was building up even more on the inside of my sleeping bag LOL.
    I decided to unzip the window covering (and the sleeping bag), which helped maintain a decent temp. No more condensation, yay. I woke at 3am feeling chilly, so pulled the blanket over and zipped up my bag. This kept me happy for the rest of the night.

in the morning, I woke dry, and fairly well rested. The grass was heavily dew covered and so was the inside of the porch. Having no groundsheet in the porch, seemed to allow quite heavy moisture build up on the underside of the outer. It didn't effect the inner at all though, which is the main thing.

The conclusion...

All in all, I'd say the Eurohike Backpacker, is worth every penny of the £24.99 I paid for it when it was on offer, but only as a solo tent, on a fairly light trip. After turning inside out in the sun, it dried off very fast, ready to be packed away. this put with the possible 5-10 minute set up (after you know what to do for subsequent pitching) it's reasonable for a budget backpacking weekend, where you don't want to either spend a fortune for a great tent and/or spend half your day erecting and dismantling your living quarters.
    Would I pay the current price of around £60 for it? Probably not, knowing how small it really is and the fact 2.47 kg is far from the lightest tent you can buy, for a true super lightweight backpacking trip.
    Yes I will use it again, but only if I don't have trees to hang from, and I haven't managed to get a well priced, more efficient, tent in the mean time.

Sorry if this review is a little all over the place, with photos and information. I'm still getting the hang of write ups LOL.

Hope you found this of some use. Please feel free to ask any questions, as usual.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I'm going to start copying how you do write ups Have you got a right up for the portable drier in some of the pics LOL

Oh I like the write up you do good ones
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

LOL, I'll have to ask the sister for her input on the drier haha. I need to do a write up for the Hi Gear inferno. only used it a couple times so far though, so want to give it a proper shake down. LOL

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    good review, it would seem to be a good offer for the price you paid.

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    good review, it would seem to be a good offer for the price you paid.
    Thank you. Would be good to see how it does in good wet weather to test the HH. It's a shame they put the price back up now it's camping season. Money grabbing corporations LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Sorry if this review is a little all over the place, with photos and information. I'm still getting the hang of write ups LOL.
    I thought it was a very comprehensive review

Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    I thought it was a very comprehensive review
    Thanks GC

top review adam ,been trying to make up my mind up on buying a smaller tent for a while now,looks versatile.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

I used it the weekend just gone. Took a hammering in a Dartmoor thunderstorm, keeping me and my kit dry, even the kit in the porch area without a groundsheet. Didn't suffer any condensation at all with the door vent/window unzipped. A great little tent.

big cat or small tent?
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.