Thread: Bow Making - Videos & Tips

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Post Bow Making - Videos & Tips

I've not yet made a "proper" bow myself, it's something I'd be interested in and might get round to doing soon.

I'm checking out a few videos to pick some knowledge & tips before I give it a go, If I see a video I like on this topic I will post it here. Feel free to chip in with your own advice & experience on bow-making if you've got any tips you'd like to share.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up Bow Making with Ed Scott

Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Muscovy archers are coming to the RV Ash.. (I am hoping to have enough money to join them this year).
    I expect you could get some good advice from them.
    I finished making an ash longbow last year. It ain't the prettiest, but it don't half fling an arrow..

When I was a kid (up about 9 or 10) we were obsessed with playing Robin hood. Making bows out of bamboo, sometime lashing several bamboo canes together to try to get a more powerful bow, and using those green gardening canes as arrows. How no-one lost an eye I don't know. Toyed with the idea once or twice as an adult to find out how to make a 'proper' bow.

A very interesting vid.

funnily enough the course I had on last weekend was a bowmaking one I was teaching a group to make flatbows from ash. All came out well and were plenty shootable after a couple of days in the woods
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Got my overactive making stuff Eye on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    funnily enough the course I had on last weekend was a bowmaking one I was teaching a group to make flatbows from ash. All came out well and were plenty shootable after a couple of days in the woods
    Did you get the numbers/interest you were after Dave? Did it all go well? Will you be running more dya think?

All the best

Phil

well, I was aiming to have 4 for my first time running the course on my own and I ended up with 3. So not a great earner, but good for confidence building. Was strange that I found myself with time to sit and drink tea whislt teaching; not something I'm used to so I can definately up the number of places!

We all got bows made in the time that I hoped and they were all good ones. It rained for a bit, but we managed to time some arrow making and other bits under cover whiles that was going on. The few problems we did encounter were easily overcome and we had a good couple of hours to play with them on the range sunday afternoon

Yes I will put another one on. Date to be assigned...
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Here is some info for you.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/arche...tbow-plans.pdf
    http://www.alanesq.com/longbow/bsb/T...Bowyer-262.pdf

Also look at the bow section here:-

http://www.paleoplanet.net/

There is all this from Dave canterbury as well.

Hope this helps.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Wow Mike Your like an encyclopedia, got a site or book for every different subject. I like the one about the flat bow, so im gona give it a go if i find a decent bit of wood.

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

such a shame tha bowhunting is illegal in the uk, it would be such an exilhirating way of hunting deer having to get within 30 yrds of them. i made oe out of hazel for my little cousin (8) who loved it. he could regularly punch inta a carboard box at 5 yrds!
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"