Thread: Celebrating Birch

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar

Celebrating Birch

Almost everyone must know about my love of birch crafts and now I've found a book the represents everything I love about it.

I've just got hold of a copy of Celebrating Birch by the North House Folk School.

I've had a quick flick through it and it has some excellent projects for both the bark and wood. It also has some excellent information towards the end on the trees ecology and harvesting.

I already make basic birch bark knife sheaths, but there is a more intricate version in here for me to try as well as various new containter methods - like shrink boxes.

I can highly reccommend this to anyone interested in birch crafts and wood craft in general.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

nice one Mike, i may have to buy a copy. Its now added to the back of my evergrowing kit list.

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Great book that i got it when it came out, its now in the ever growing JP bushcraft library lol
    "Tracking is the road - bushcraft is the vehicle - Nature and wildlife is the destination."
    http://www.woodlife.co.uk/woodlife-trails/

Hooray for birch!

Hooray for birch!
    My thoughts exactly!

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Hobo
    Mike,

I've got that book and think it's great. If you manage to figure out that knife sheath a tutorial would be great because try as I might I just can't get it to work out!

Dave

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Hi Dave,

Just mocked the woven sheath out of hard paper. It is a little fiddley but not as bad as it looks. When I get some more good birch bark I'll try and do a step by step tutorial.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Haven't heard of that one, must look it up!!