Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My solo woodland camp and video-blog in 'real time' next weekend

My solo woodland camp and video-blog in 'real time' next weekend

Off for a solo 2 day/night camp in the Lone Wolf woods in S. Wales this comming weekend to try a selection of DIY and Skintcraft kit that I've made or gathered over the winter and to try some new bushcrafting skills for the first time.

I plan to do a few video blogs between Friday and Sunday in more or less real-time provided that I can get a 3G signal some of the time.

I'll also do some short vids on some of my kit and my attempts at making and using a fire drill and tapping a birch (if it's not too late) etc and post those up next week.

May need a wheelbarrow looking at the way my kit list is building...! - but then it is a kit testing exercise more than an ultralight trip.

I'll use this thread to post my video blogs providing I can maintain or find a signal so we'll see how it goes, watch this space...!

Photo's will be available on my Flickr page at this link. Video's will be posted into the thread during the weekend
    http://flic.kr/ps/Wigkr
    Last edited by paul standley; 06-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Look forward to seeing it Paul, may try to pop down for an hour if I get chance, or would that be defeating the object of the solo part.

Looking forward to it
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    Look forward to seeing it Paul, may try to pop down for an hour if I get chance, or would that be defeating the object of the solo part.
    Nut C... your most welcome, come on down for an hour if you get chance, i'll get a brew on. You'll need to go to the farm house first and let the owner (Ian) know you are visiting. The wood is protected on all 4 sides by river, quarry and railway so the only way in or out is through the farm.

Paul.

Look forward to seeing your vid Paul...
    There's no brew without fire.

Peasant
    It's a little late for birch sap near me (Lincolnshire) but trees near water are still going. Hope that helps....

OK, I'm on the very edge of my smart phone and Inter-webbing technical experience now but I managd to set up a Flickr site for the photo's I take and upload during next weekend's trip and you can access the photo album page anytime using the following link which is also in my signiture line for the time being...http://flic.kr/ps/Wigkr

Any video blogs I do will be embedded separately into replies to this thread during the weekend.

I'm up to one and a half wheelbarrows worth of kit so far (minus the trowel, but that's another story...) so some selective trimming is required I think. I may have to have a couple of "test" weekends to try it all.

Please note, it's inexpensive bits and bobs or stuff I've made/adapted so don't think you will be treated to some of the shiny trinkets you have been used to with others, this is strictly Skintcrafting...!

I'll PM you my mobile no and give you a ring if I can get down. But looking forward to the vids anyway

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Really looking forward to seeing your diary Paul. Hope you have more success than I did on the video uploads.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Got most of my kit packed, will finish in the morning.

As this is a skintcrafter kit-fest weekend i'm packing heavy with 2 shelter formats, 1.5 sleep systems, various sharp & jagged impliments, 3 cooking/fire set-up's and a sausage sandwich so it's likely to top out at over 18kg which is maxing out my 65 litre pack using top & bottom kit loops...!

I want to be able to walk it all in in one go hence the silly loading, no way could I backpack with this, it weights nearly as much as I do...

Luckily I don't have to carry in water, there is a river and spring in the woods so will have close by water source.

Really looking forward to it and as it happens, picked a great bit of weather as well so hopefully, my first videoblog will be tea-time Friday, catch you then.

Paul.