Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Tors Challenge

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar

Ten Tors Challenge

Right then guys, it's time to walk the walk (literally).

There has been some very tentative interest shown for a Ten Tors challenge.

For the uninitiated, this is an event that takes place every year where groups of teenagers aged 14 to 19 walk one of 26 specified routes over the rugged terrain of Dartmoor visiting checkpoints at 10 tors. A distance of 35, 45 or 55 miles is set depending on the ages of the team. A team must be self contained; camp on the moor overnight and complete the distance within 34 hours.

I am proposing that we attempt to complete one of the 45 mile routes as a group of six, just like the actual challenge. The 45 mile challenge is considered suitable for teams of 16 and 17 years olds so a bunch of old timers like us, plus Kieran should find this a doddle.

Anyway, my suggestion is that we attempt this sometime in June. Stick your name down and we'll see how many will walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Any takers up for the challenge?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Not for me thank you Martin I've already got that medal (1973), but good luck to those who do it, especially in June!!!
    Andy
    I totally reject your reality and substitute my own.

I really would love to do it, but i am up in the NE if scotland and i am really busy over the holidays

Jeime.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature and It will never fail you.

GRRR!!! DAMN WORK!!! Thats exactly the sort of thing I love doing.

LOL looks like I'll be the first to sign up then, count me in.
    I think I can do it if I keep my kit weight (and smoking) down to a minimum. but at less than 48 hours food mass should be fairly low as long as the calories are there.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

OK then, the next step is to propose a few dates for this. I am not available for the first weekend in June as I am supposed to be doing the Four Peaks Challenge that weekend but after that I am fairly free. Check out the dates in the attached Doodle Poll and stick your names and availability down.

http://www.doodle.com/it4f28urp2bpapdv

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    OK then, the next step is to propose a few dates for this. I am not available for the first weekend in June as I am supposed to be doing the Four Peaks Challenge that weekend but after that I am fairly free. Check out the dates in the attached Doodle Poll and stick your names and availability down.

http://www.doodle.com/it4f28urp2bpapdv

Martin
    With the poll, I'm easy for any dates so should I just tick all boxes and hit save?

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    With the poll, I'm easy for any dates so should I just tick all boxes and hit save?
    Exactly. Just enter your name, tick the dates you are available and hit save. It's a great little tool, I can't remember who introduced us to it, but Ashley has organised many NBC meets using Doodle.

Once we're up to six names, with a common date, we'll close the poll and start to make plans.

Martin

Ok buddy, all done.
    Just got invited to a meet with BCUK over Tamworth direction end of this month so will be free after that.

Adam

I struggle with the 10 min walk to the pub (half hour on the way back!). If i put some training in reckon i might have a realistic chance of joining in? Might go for a stroll this wknd on the moor and see how i do.