Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Grass Snake of the year (pic heavy)

When I was teaching Windsurfing we used to get Grass Snakes swimming across the lake. It was great fun watching the poor learners trying not to fall in
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Great photos & video, thanks for sharing. I've not seen one in the open and moving as nice as that.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I've been out hunting these and adders with a mate (who recently returned from Aus with many snake pics) recently.
    Haven't spotted any yet but the weather has been a bit pants for the cold blooded little buggers, but do have a hot tip from a mate about a location with an adder or grass snake nest.

Will chuck some pics up if I find them.

Paul

Fantastic photos and vid .
    Ive seen more adders than I have grass snakes up this way .
    Where I intend to go camping this summer is a bit of a hotspot for Adders so hoping to get a pic or 2.
    Well done on gettin photos of such a beautiful wee beastie.

Cheers
    AL

I was geocaching near Temple on the moors once and almost put my hand on an adder sunbathing as I was climbing. It slithered away very quickly, don't know who was more surprised me or it.

I absolutely loathe snakes. So i am happy that we don't have them up here in the arctic...

But when I lived in Thailand....ha ha.

The second boy from the left is my stepson. This was taken on the porch of our house :-)

And she sent me out in the rice paddies to help my mom in law to check on her rice. The old bat made me walk in front to scare off the snakes...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 18-06-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by moontanboy View Post
    I've been out hunting these and adders with a mate (who recently returned from Aus with many snake pics) recently.
    Haven't spotted any yet but the weather has been a bit pants for the cold blooded little buggers, but do have a hot tip from a mate about a location with an adder or grass snake nest.

Will chuck some pics up if I find them.

Paul
    I hope you mean hunting as in "finding" as both adders & grass snakes are protected species, if you get bitten by an adder you will probably survive unless you have a weak heart BUT it will b****y HURT a lot, also all reptiles carry salmonella
    so if you intend to handle them take some carex anti bacterial hand cream with you or you will become ill, around 120 people get bitten by adders every year in the UK - 36 were bitten in south Wales alone last year - hard to believe when you hardly ever see
    one, grass snakes will bite but they are more likely to spray you with urine ( nearly as bad as a skunk ) it stinks !!! - sorry if you think that I am over the top but - 1, I don't want them hurt for no reason 2, I don't want you hurt or STINKY for no reason either.If you get to see them both on the same day think yourself very lucky, most don't get to see them both in the same year, how do I know all this - I was bitten by a young adder ( about 6" long ) that I mistook for a slow worm while walking in the woods in Betws Y Coed about 15 years ago meet my 2 petsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1314-1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	4860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1303 copy.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	4861 american corn snakes - I know I'm Mad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1314.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	4859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1302.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	4858  
    Last edited by biker-bri; 19-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

I got bit by an Adder when I was building a Dry stone Dike when I was a Landscaper.
    I must have nipped its tail with one of the stones I was scroungin from the field next to the garden. MAN it hurt for a fair while and all I could see was one real small pinprick of blod on my finger. Did see the snake take off at a rate of knots though
    Took a couple of days for my hand to stop hurtin but after that I made damn sure I wore gloves when working the stones lol

Sorry for the ramble

Cheers
    AL

Tramp
    Love the pics managed to get one crappy shot of one recently. The musk is revolting!

Name:  783472037.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  6.6 KB

Great shot Herp Thanks for sharin mate

Cheers
    AL