Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats happening

Whats happening

Whats happened to this forum, where has everyone gone?

Lets get some posts flowing
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Agreed, it's been too quiet for too long

To be honest age and health problems have pretty much stopped me camping in the woods but I still like to keep up to date with things. Forums have suffered because of social media, so many groups on Facebook these days
    Richard
    South Wales UK

There are but then again this site was / is one of the better informative sites, why people have left en mass is baffling ?

Its not just here dude even what were the really busy forums seem a lot quieter these days. I look in on BCUK from time to time and even there its a 'hard core' of posters pumping out the posts.

Its a shame to see this one as it is, as you said its been an informative site.

To a degree I think the bushcraft bubble has burst which won't help things. I'm not active on outdoor sites, a couple of mates asked me to sign up on two forums which I had a look at, one is again a small site, handful of posters, more a mates social club and the other is full of gun totting bible thumping Americans...I signed to neither. These days I'm more a glamper/radio ham LOL.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Agree the Bushcraft Bubble has burst … For me personally age has had a lot to do with it

My feet hurt , I dislike walking too far and as for carrying a load of kit

(even the camera kit which was what got me out and about in the first place)

everything seems to far too heavy and too much bother anymore …

I even found myself checking out a small lightweight bridge camera …

probably better kit than my old heavy DSLR stuff , thinking that might encourage me out more

Now I'm retired and moved up to SW Scotland you would think I've all the time in the world but no …

there's too much to do indoors , too many projects to do and being retired with the wife

we want to be together and bushcrafting and camping out just isn't her thing ...

I think the whole bushcraft thing with the DPM , knives , axes and other blades

put a lot of people off with the carrying laws and all the political correctness these days …

Wish I was younger and fit again but then I guess I'd be caught in the nine to five drudgery

and wouldn't have any time anyway!!!

Cheers Whistle
    Last edited by Whistle; 17-11-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

To quote Survival Lilly , one of my favourite bushcraft You tubers ,

"YouTube is slowly turning into a Teletubby show" …

Due to advertisers pulling away from anything with anything even slightly controversial

eg Posts showing guns , knives , camo clothing including DPM tents tarps etc

this in effect demonetises the post so the Original Posters do not earn any money from their posts

no matter how informative educational or interesting the post may be …

The whole process significantly undermines any educational or informative benefit the post may have

The posters of the YouTube downloads have to be so careful not to offend anyone even Survival Lilly is

being very restrictive in her posts …

Just wonder if this is yet another reason why Bushcrafting has fallen so far out of favour

and why the bubble has burst on a relatively harmless pursuit ???

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Keep safe you lot, maybe one day we can organise an old timers meet somewhere
    Richard
    South Wales UK

"If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Thought I would pop in and have a look around again. Much like many others I suppose, life dictated another path for a while and the daily survival routine had priority over anything else. As time has progressed we have also lost some of our familiar faces as time is never kind.

I’m looking at the statistics though and am pleased to see that the site is still pretty active in the background. Currently nearly 500 people searching through the archives at all our old posts and stories but all showing as guests. I think maybe if some of those folks decided to say hello and dropped a few keystrokes on the page this lovely old place would feel much more homely again. If you are reading this and think that maybe you wouldn’t mind joining the old family then click on the Register and Join The Community tab up the top and we can get you approved.