Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar panels

We are damned lucky, i live in a HA house and they have just ripped out my oil heating and installed an air sourcce heat pump, pretty impressed with it at the moment and it should halve my fuel bills as well as reduce my carbon footprint. The new water tank also has provision for solar panel connection so I might just push for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Any body want advice on this one give me a shout as I train sparkies to install photovoltaics. Doing a job for the National trust myself this weekend fitting a bank of 3x 110Ah batteries from an inverter/charger to supply the property with water. Find renewable technologies fascinating and looking to learn more on other tech all the time. Another good one at the moment is rainwater harvesting the simple way with water prices going up all the time.
    I might well take you up on that offer!

My workshop is (theoretically at least) run on photovoltaics. I say theoretically because I've been having no end of trouble with it for the last year and especially ove hte last 6 months it has been getting right on my nerves.

I don't suppose you are coming down for my woodland working party are you?
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Now that sounds like an invite

I am negotiating with swkb as the good lady would like the family to attend the Cornwall RV. Would seriously like to come for the weekend and meet you all. Let you know shortly.

Whats the issue with the PV?

I is coming! what do I need to bring (apart from my tool kit for the PV obviously)

That's great news

The problem with the PV is many fold, caused in parts by a money sparky who wired everything up incorrectly to start with, then cheap components dying, and then squirrels/rats chewing through cables. The batteries say fully charged yet I don't get much machine time from them before it all cuts out, infact most often even a 250w machine will trip it out randomly. This all despite the fact that when it was first set up (3 years ago) I could run a 1hp motor for 4 hours before it cut out, then there was still enough juice to run smaller machines for short periods.

I'll go through it all with you when you get here, but there is bound to be iether something simple (like a wire in the wrong place) or something catastrophic requiring a complete rekit!

as for other stuff to bring. info to follow
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Just a quick plug for NAVITRON I helped to build a system for heating a swimming pool last year and the results were astounding. The people were saving over £80 per week on heating oil
    Just to add; if you are installing one of their systems be careful when you install the vacuum tubes. They start heating up the moment they are taken out of their shipping container. I wasn't careful enough and managed to burn my hand. The tube had only been out for less than 10 minutes on an over-cast day.
    There is an excellent company in Liskeard called SAS & Trewartha The last time I was there they had 3 different manufacturers systems fixed up and running so that you could compare them for yourself.
    They also do heat recovery systems, heat pumps and all the other exciting items
    Nice people to deal with and no, I have no connection with them.
    Last edited by happybonzo; 02-03-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

I love a challenge

i am all for heating leisure centres and council buildings with heat from crematoriums. See a good opportunity to reduce over population and an alternative to life imprisonment. I woulod be happy to get some use out of my body once i am gone.