Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar panels

Solar panels

Well have finally taken delivery of 2 x 50w solar panels, now installed and supplying me with enough power into storage batteries to allow me to have inverter running for over 4 hours each evening - so for me that is free energy! Well pleased, so much so that i have ordered another 2 panels to make sure that I have power in storage for any future usage. Next is solar water heater.

I've been trying to get on the "Shade Greener" campaign for months but my roof is not aligned correctly, I'll keep pestering though in the hope they might give in one day

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    That's great to hear stig! I would love to get some photovoltaic panels, but don't have the money yet. I would be interested in what your managing to power and for how long roughly etc. I think I remember reading back a couple of years ago when I was doing research into it that your only meant to use 50% of the capacity of your deep-cycle battery-bank, is that still true today with up to date tech?

Rich thanks for mentioning that shade greener thing, I've just applied!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post

Rich thanks for mentioning that shade greener thing, I've just applied!
    No worries mate, free energy has got to be worth passing on to as many people as possible

I'll bung the link up but feel free to delete if you want, I've not learnt your policies yet bud

http://www.ashadegreener.co.uk/

little bit different down here in Portugal on costs, picked up the panels secondhand along with contol box for 300€, i am using at the moment a large car battery for storage and take off of power but will be getting a 150amp slow discharge battery soon for the system and i will also have to upgrade my control box to a higher amperage one when my next 2 panels arrive. I am getting 4 hours use each night that is powering 2 x 40 12v strip lights and then through the inverter i am running my laptop / charging phone also

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    ... I'll bung the link up but feel free to delete if you want, I've not learnt your policies yet bud

http://www.ashadegreener.co.uk/
    What policies? Bloody hell I knew I forgot something when starting this forum!

No really, post links or videos to whatever you like (I'll only remove it if it's very inappropriate), I've not had to remove anything yet!

@Stig that's great to hear they are working ok for you. Ideally your not meant to use Car Batteries are you?.. I know your going to get something else, I haven't yet been able to afford those deep-cycle leisure batteries, although one time when I put in a lot of research trying to find the cheapest price with best amp hours I could get for the money I think I found a deep-cycle battery that was 110Ah for as little as £62.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

for the moment it seems to be performing well on the 2 large car batteries - power for lighting comes out of the control box and this is a slow discharge, the power inverter is straight off the battery. Leisure battery will cost similair down here 75€

Yeah, at the moment solar is the the best free energy supplier.Amazing what the panels can do. Although I have heard good things about running a hydro generator from a stream. That is If you're lucky enough to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    That's great to hear stig! I would love to get some photovoltaic panels, but don't have the money yet.
    With a little bit of work you can build you own for a lot less money plus you have the satisfaction of getting free energy from something you built yourself.

These guys are like mad backyard scientists. They have some great projects

aman

Any body want advice on this one give me a shout as I train sparkies to install photovoltaics. Doing a job for the National trust myself this weekend fitting a bank of 3x 110Ah batteries from an inverter/charger to supply the property with water. Find renewable technologies fascinating and looking to learn more on other tech all the time. Another good one at the moment is rainwater harvesting the simple way with water prices going up all the time.