Thread: Winter Pic's

Hobo

Winter Pic's

We are entering spring here in NZ and I for one am looking forward to some warmer days. But I enjoy my winter outings too -I thought I'd post some pic's from a trip into a wilderness valley in the Southern Alps I undertook a couple of months back. There was little snow but a Hoar Frost was present on the cold side of the valley which lasted several days before rain washed it away. Bitterly cold but beautiful.
    As people are wont to say these days -''Winter is coming''

No not little white flowers, but ice crystals radiating out from beech leaves.

I based my self in huts during the trip.

This photo shows my socks that had been hanging up inside frozen stiff as a board. The water in the billy froze as well and this was inside the hut, albeit with no fire. It sure makes one appreciate having a good sleeping bag.

I made the mistake one night of not keeping my boots warm [by putting them under my mattress etc] and wet from the river crossings they froze solid. Lighting a fire wasn't an option so I had to walk out for the first hour in my Croc's until I reached an area of sunshine where I could thaw them out enough to get my feet in them. A bit of a rookie mistake - so that'll learn me!!
    Last edited by footsore1; 18-09-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Great pics - sounds like a memorable trip

Really beautiful pictures. Number 2 looks like an ostrich or something.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

"If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Hobo
    Cheers Guy's
    I hadn't noticed before Pootle but I see what you mean about the ostrich.

Stunning pictures. Can't really explain why but it amuses me with the seasons being reversed from here in the UK. There's us having Christmas dinner tucked up with a fire on and I always picture my sister down there having a barbecue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Stunning pictures. Can't really explain why but it amuses me with the seasons being reversed from here in the UK. There's us having Christmas dinner tucked up with a fire on and I always picture my sister down there having a barbecue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My family has a bit of a festive tradition. After lunch all the kids and most of the adults have a huge water fight -buckets, hoses and water pistols. Usually a dozen of us running about getting soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by footsore1 View Post
    My family has a bit of a festive tradition. After lunch all the kids and most of the adults have a huge water fight -buckets, hoses and water pistols. Usually a dozen of us running about getting soaked.
    It's similar here. But there's no water and it's usually well before lunch.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.