Thread: Advice wanted re cleaning a bag.

Advice wanted re cleaning a bag.

Hello hive mind.
    It would appear that the cat has p!$$ed on a rucksack of mine. I have cleaned the affected area and left it in a draughty place for several weeks to air out. But the smell is still there. I was thinking of just putting it in the bath with some detol or similar. Can anyone think of any good reason not too? (Corrosive maybe?). Or suggest a better method?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Try a mix of 10% biological washing powder and water and scrub into the effected area. It may be wise to test this on a part that doesn't show. A mix of vinegar and water should also work. If all else fails, mix some bicarbonate of soda and water and scrub into the effected area. Once dried, put some dry bi-carb of soda on the effected area and leave.

Finally, don't take your cat bushcrafting again.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

A while ago I had a dirty bag that needed cleaning.
    What I did was put it in the bath with a bit of washing powder. Let it soak, rinse out, and hang it out to dry.
    Came out fine.
    I read so many convoluted ways of what you should or shouldn't do and, quite frankly, it was largely nonsense. Just wash the thing.

And yeah, I'd put a slug of dettol in there as well if I thought it needed it. I doubt it will though - I reckon a good cleaning (and let it soak for a while) will see you straight.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Finally, don't take your cat bushcrafting again.
    Ha. The only reason I'd take the cat camping would be to cook the little blighter.

Seriously though, thanks gents. I'll try soaking in some vinegar or bicarb.
    My past life researching bees has left me wary of using anything scented on outdoor kit / clothes! Maybe some unscented soap flakes or similar.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

This stuff works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Justin. If the cheap / free options don't work I'll give this a try.