Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm officially in mourning.

I'm officially in mourning.

It would appear that I've lost my SAK. It was a vitorinox climber that I've had for about five or six years.
    I bought it when I moved into the city from out in the sticks, and didn't want to push my luck with an opinel as my edc.
    I've dug out an old lambs foot knife I picked up in the hardware store, which is not bad for a cheapy but it's not the same. Got caught out camping last weekend when I realised i didn't have a corkscrew or tin opener on me.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Don't think of it as 'lost' so much as 'set free'.
    Now the little chap is scampering about the wide outdoors, having fun and adventures.
    He'll unfurl his little (and let'e be honest here, bloody useless) scissors and that pointy thing that no one knows what it is, and he'll be charging around on them like the little scamp he is, doing his own walk-about.
    He'll be back.
    One day you'll get up and open the door to collect the milk, and there he'll be sitting on the doorstep on his haunches, back from wherever it is he went.
    It'll be OK.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Just buy another one and you can rest assured that as soon as your new one arrives you will find your old one! Works for me every time!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Ha. I wish. I lost it at a festival. I just hope someone finds it be for a sheep eats it.

I reckon I found about 50% of the tools on it useful. Even the scissors (cutting finger nails, for example)

I feel your sorrow. My parents bought me a larger version when I was in the army in South Africa. I've had it ever since (about 30 years now). I've used the scissors as well for cutting fingernails, and the metal file is great for cleaning them up. The wood saw is ferocious and very handy for cutting tent pegs or clothes pegs. The only thing I've not used is the fish hook remover since I wouldn't dream of taking it with me fishing on my kayak in the salty water.

I agree with the previous advice; buy yourself another and make it your new treasure.

Hope it turns up at some point, like an old friend coming to visit.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

Isn't it strange how attached we become to these little tools. I suspect it is related to the usefulness we get from them. I feel your loss Pootle. I hope it turns up soon.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I appreciate all your kind words. I'll replace it at some point. The fact is, my attachment to it is clearly out f proportion to how useful it is. It spent more time in my pocket than out. But when it's useful, it's really useful. And I never could stomach opening a beer bottle with my teeth!

If it helps. Min goes AWOL the time, and is for the most part considered lost. When I find it, it is put in my pocket, and from there mysteriously vanishes for weeks at a time. The gods knows what adventures it is on.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Since I added a clip on/off lanyard to my SAK, it rarely goes AWOL. Sure, it's more bulky, but in addition to the tools, I know I have plenty of string if needed.

This link is to another post that shows said lanyard:

https://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/f...l=1#post137318
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.