Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Tarp and first solo over night

New Tarp and first solo over night

Just got my new camo tarp from DD Hammocks. Been itching to get out and use it. Had a 2 night camp planned this weekend but a good dose of man flu the week before put the kibosh on it but by the end of the week I felt well enough to try an overnighter. So got my kit together and and headed out to the local wood on my own.

Once I got my hammock and tarp set up, it was time to get a fire going to cook my tea. There is plenty of dead wood around so only took a few minutes to get some together and get the fire going. Built a little wood reflector to hide the fire from the road and to keep me a bit warmer.

Tea was "Look what we found" chile and it was very good, for pudding I had an army issue ration pack Treacle Sponge, bit too sweet for my liking.

Had a good nights sleep and woke up to bird song and the sound of a woodpecker. Got up and got the fire going again to make breakfast. Whilst waiting for the water to boil for my coffee had some more bits out of the ration pack, oatmeal block with yeast extract spread on it. Not bad at all. Once I had a cup of coffee, I got the packet of sausage, beans and omelette heated up.

After breakfast I got packed up and headed home. Had a nice overnighter and was an interesting experience camping out on my own.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Great post Resinkov and thanks for sharing. It was great to see your 'Tweet' last night, good to know you enjoyed it.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Was your set up as comfy as it looks ?
    There's no brew without fire.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    looks good, thanks for sharing.

Gotta love the 'look what we found' meals, so much better than the rat packs or the branded 'camping' meals.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Quote Originally Posted by klause View Post
    Was your set up as comfy as it looks ?
    Yes it was. Underblanket and a very good sleeping bag. Very toasty warm
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

I saw their new MC tarp the other day and thought to myself "I gotta get me one of those" lol
    Can't beat a comfy hammy and tarp setup for a lightweight pack
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

The weather aint been to bad up north this week for a change - you picked a good week resikov....
    There's no brew without fire.

Resnikov & Crazysaint's recent trip posts have inspired me to try and go "a bit lighter" on my next trip. Think I'm still packing too much kit.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Another great post Resi,
    dont want to hijack your post but have a general question for other hammock users
    'does anyone else get sore/numb heels in their hammock' ?

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltie View Post
    Another great post Resi,
    dont want to hijack your post but have a general question for other hammock users
    'does anyone else get sore/numb heels in their hammock' ?
    Sometimes, and cold lower extremities too, it's cause your feet are too high in the hammock and the blood isn't getting there just as easy as it's used to..its one of the reasons I'm not particularly fond of a hammock, alter your sleeping position and you should be fine..