Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Abisko Sweden, fuel for stoves

  1. #1
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542

    Abisko Sweden, fuel for stoves

    Did a little border run to Sweden, namely the Abisko area, which is a popular destination among UK bushcrafters.
    Reason for the trip was shopping for food, as all sorts of meat and somme other goodies are a lot cheaper in Sweden, so we do this trip
    a couple of times every year as it is a 2-3 hours drive from where I live in Norway.

    Anyway can report that they sell denatured spirits and butane canisters in all the 3 supermarkets between the border and Abisko.
    Did not see any white gas, and there is no parafine pump at the "gas station" in Abisko.

    So you might have to secure that in Kirruna, wich is 100 km away... Else there is plenty of dead standing trees up there after a birch mocha larvae attack a few years back. But most of it will be rotten, not dried as that is the nature of birch.

    Picture is from last years expedition, and shows part of Abiskojokka - River Abisko.


    Last edited by FishyFolk; 27-08-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  2. #2
    Woodsman bopdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    577
    That is great info Rune, as you know I'm planning on Abisko in February, what were the prices like for meths and gas, any links to the stores please

  3. #3
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    N links for the stores. These are just scandinavian chain store supermarkets. Prices where not frightening though...
    A litre of denatured alcohol would be around 4, while standard butane canister would be around 3.
    But butane is not an advisable fuel the time of year you are going....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  4. #4
    Woodsman bopdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    577
    Thanks for the info, Coleman over here do a canister that works down to minus 27 iirc but saying that will be good enough, and even so, I can't bring it lol, I'll probably be meths and whatever

    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    You will probably fly in to Kirruna, which is a proper town, with huge supermarkets. They will have everything you need there. Abisko is a tiny village with one gas pump and one tiny supermarket and a hotel. The other two are at the border, and caters mostly to skiing tourists and Norwegians. Who will stay in cabins or caravans, + the odd backpacker.

    The lionk shows a picture of the supermarket in Abisko, and thats in the middle of the centre of "town"


    https://www.google.nl/maps/uv?hl=no&...As4Qpx8IiwEwDg
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  6. #6
    Woodsman bopdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    You will probably fly in to Kirruna, which is a proper town, with huge supermarkets. They will have everything you need there. Abisko is a tiny village with one gas pump and one tiny supermarket and a hotel. The other two are at the border, and caters mostly to skiing tourists and Norwegians. Who will stay in cabins or caravans, + the odd backpacker.

    The lionk shows a picture of the supermarket in Abisko, and thats in the middle of the centre of "town"


    https://www.google.nl/maps/uv?hl=no&...As4Qpx8IiwEwDg
    Thanks for the info, yeah looking into it further I think we will be flying into Kiruna (again) so we'll stock up there, still no definite dates but looking good for early February

  7. #7
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    There is a train from Kiruna to Abisko (the one that goes to Narvik). The station is a couple of km out of town as they are moving the whole city of kiruna to a new location!
    But there is a free bus service from city centre to the train station. The train will stop in Abisko, which is the perfect place to either get out on the frozen lake where you can use the snow scooter trails to move easier if the snow is deep and soft, or into the forest.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  8. #8
    Woodsman bopdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    There is a train from Kiruna to Abisko (the one that goes to Narvik). The station is a couple of km out of town as they are moving the whole city of kiruna to a new location!
    But there is a free bus service from city centre to the train station. The train will stop in Abisko, which is the perfect place to either get out on the frozen lake where you can use the snow scooter trails to move easier if the snow is deep and soft, or into the forest.
    Yep, that's what we'll be doing, caught the train last time but in the opposite direction, we went to Gallivare to catch a minibus, I'm thinking of more woodland than lake, the Abisko national Park maybe ? Have the started moving the town yet, we heard about when we were there earlier this year, seems so long ago, itching to get back Once we get a plan together I'll post up a thread, seeing as we've high-jacked yours lol

  9. #9
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    No problem as this all adds to the info.

    Yes they have started building the new town. Dont know how much they have done as it's been a couple of years since we were last in Kiruna.
    Only been to Gallivarre in the summer, which is hell due to all the mozzies.

    Well there is plenty of forest around, but the trees are small, as you are just under the tree line. Abisko is arctic high land type country.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  10. #10
    Woodsman bopdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    No problem as this all adds to the info.

    Yes they have started building the new town. Dont know how much they have done as it's been a couple of years since we were last in Kiruna.
    Only been to Gallivarre in the summer, which is hell due to all the mozzies.

    Well there is plenty of forest around, but the trees are small, as you are just under the tree line. Abisko is arctic high land type country.
    See when we were there we landed at night and left early the next morning and asides from having a meal in 1 of the pubs and buying fuel we didn't have time to see much at all in Kiruna, maybe Abisko isn't going to have enough dead standing dry wood for the stoves, 2 tents, would you say that could be the case ? if so what other stops along that line, any ideas ?

    Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •