Thread: Packing cook kit and food

Tramp

Packing cook kit and food

Hi all
    I'm a newby and I'm trying to organise my kit a bit better I seem to take far to much when I'm out in the woods
    What do you guys use to store and keep your cook kit and food in ??
    I'm looking at getting a shoulder bag for keeping my kit in so that it's separate from my backpack and therefore easier to get at if I fancy a brew before setting up camp
    Any advice appreciated
    Thanks

What pack are you using and what is your cook kit, also what type of foods and how many nights ? I'm transitioning to lightweight foods, dehydrated chilli and packets of dried pasta with sauce, my cook kit is and fits into a 14cm aluminium cup, that boils my water and rehydrates my food but in transit I'll have my meths and stove in a sack inside it along with my windshield and pot stand, and topped off with the Wildo folda cup that acts as a stopper to keep it all in place, works well for me, food, well that just goes in a sack on the inside of my pack, the cook kit fits in the outside side pocket of my ULA OHM.

HTH

Tramp
    Well I'm looking to just take my tatonka pot pan set and my mug a Woodgas stove but I really don't like dehydrated food so I take fresh meat easy cook pasta/rice or Vacpac potties or tinned foods I camp with a group so we tend to gather round the fire and cook on that I'm just trying other ideas out at the moment my backpack is used for tarp sleeping bag and hygiene kit spare clothes etc we usually camp for the weekend so have to take what we need the cars are parked about 3/4 mile away so not far

I keep my mess kit in a drawstring pouch.
    Try to multi-role your kit. For example, if you're just having a brew up then use a metal mug and boil the water in it rather than a separate kettle/pot for boiling. Also, if you can get a water bottle that sits inside your mug that will cut down on space.
    You mention a 'pan set'. I suppose it depends on what you are cooking, but do you really need a 'set' of pans or just the one? And then use the space in pan for storing your brew kit and stuff.
    You don't need a separate bag for your mess kit. Does your pack have side pouches? Put it in one of those. Or when you pack your bag make sure you keep your mess kit on the top where you can get quick access to it.
    Here's what I take if all I want to do is a brew up. Being in separate bits means I can fit it in smaller spaces.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_0756.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	13988

Name:	Brew Up2.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	13989
    If I'm going to be cooking as well then I'll take just the one cooking pot - generally a Crusader mess kit. The good thing about these is that the lid can be used as a frying pan as well. Inside is where I'll stash tea bags, cleaning kit, spoon, folding mug, etc - making use of the space.

Name:	Brew Up.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	13990
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I only use a shoulder bag for my cook kit if that's all i am taking.

If I pack for an overnight trip it goes into a drawstring bag I made. Else I pack every group of kit in separate water proof bags.
    I.e one bag for a dry set of clothes, one for food, one for batteries and gizmos like flashlight, etc. That way I do not have to rumage trough everything to find kit, but just pull out the correct bag...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Small shoulder dry bag for food. Cheap wood gas stove and 14cm set of pot and frying pan. If I'm out longer I sling it over my 85 ltr rucksack/drybag. Sorry no pics yet

I keep my stuff segregated like Rune, the best solution to cutting down kit is like Humakt says, multi-use, also if you are bringing kit back unused you probably don't need it, (Take a First aid kit every time),
    A lot of us are not actually far enough from civilisation to need most of what we take, it's just for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I only use a shoulder bag for my cook kit if that's all i am taking.

If I pack for an overnight trip it goes into a drawstring bag I made. Else I pack every group of kit in separate water proof bags.
    I.e one bag for a dry set of clothes, one for food, one for batteries and gizmos like flashlight, etc. That way I do not have to rumage trough everything to find kit, but just pull out the correct bag...
    Campfires are best shared with friends.